Saturday, October 14, 2006

Calling all Vanderpools

Attention all Vanderpools: it's time to put our heads together and decide which restaurants we want to go to during Thanksgiving week, including for Thanksgiving dinner. Since we're going to be such a large group (as usual), we should really make reservations as far in advance as possible. The only restaurant that I really want to go to as a group during the week is Jacques Imo's, but I don't think anybody will have any objections to that. My suggestion for Turkey Day would be Commander's Palace because it's Uptown and can easily accomodate a large group of charming drunks (and Derek). Below are a few other restaurants that I can think of off the top my head for Thanksgiving dinner, but the list is by no means extensive or exclusive. Please leave a comment with your preferences, not only for Thanksgiving dinner, but for any other restaurant you'd like to patronize while we're in town. Pegs and I will then decide in our infinite wisdom which of your suggestions don't suck and make reservations. Just kidding. We'll let Mom make the reservations.

Antoine's
Galatoire's
Upperline

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there! sorry, i've been out of town so i just got this. another couple of very good restaurants that are uptown are clancy's and dick and jenny's. i don't think we've eaten there as a group yet and it isn't too far from my house. irene's for italian is always a good choice (french quarter) and then there are the good restaurants in the marigny. i've been told that some very quality restaurants are opening back up in mid-city as well but i'll have to look into it. my friend lindsay has a zagat, so i might just steal that for a while. really, there are just too many to chose from.

Anonymous said...

i keep misspelling things, darnnit. at least i used "too" and "to" correctly...that would have been embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting that I'm not a charming drunk, or that I don't drink? Either way, you're wrong! I drink. A lot. And man, does it make me a winner with the ladies! I'm telling you, they LIKE getting pinched!

As for food, not that this helps, but I don't really have a preference one way or the other. They're all great restaurants. Plus, before I read this post, I just thought we would do the usual turkey meal - maybe at Vanessa's house. But before she goes into a conniption, let me just say that I think the restaurant idea is far superior. Much less stressful for all involved.

Back to the topic at hand: I think we should definitely go to Jacque Imo's at some point - their Shrimp and Alligator Sausage Cheesecake is calling to me somethin' fierce. And a little bit 'o Lebanon's wouldn't hurt, either. And Verdi Mart. Definitely Verdi Mart. Mmmmmm...delicious, delicious po-boys...

Any of the fancy restaurants you mentioned for Thanksgiving Day will do quite nicely, though. They are all equally delicious and equally posh.

P.S. Ariel is getting the shakes just thinking about all the good food we'll be eating in a couple of weeks. "Seeing your family will be okay, too...I guess" she added.

Anonymous said...

hey we get input, nice!
i know nanya always loved galatoise, and jacque imo's sems also a favorite. I just don't know about thanksgiving day, considering that dad always like to do the cooking that day.....
I am still trying to find a house so we have room to meet and a kitchen. vanessa seems to think that the one on napoleon is past claiborne and maybe not in a great surrounding, she will check it tomorrow.
meanwhile i contacted one that sems great on walnut, by the park . i am waiting for pictures and the price!!
we might not have enough days for all the great places. maybe we can start a new tradition, thanksgiving in new orleans, at least for the next few years.