Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Hybridette?

Yesterday was the day of the big, Big, BIG ultrasound. The way that our doctor described the sonogram machine I was half-expecting that it would be housed in a huge underground lab and manned by guys wearing haz-mat suits, but it turned out to be pretty low-key. The cool thing was that there was a big plasma screen on one wall, so Pegs and I got to watch a movie while the doctor did the exam. It kinda sucked that they only had one channel, since I really wanted to watch some cartoons, but it was better than sitting out in the waiting room with magazines from 2004. The doctor looked at me a little funny when I asked him if he had any popcorn or other snacks, and the admission price he charged us at the end of the flick was a bit steep, but it was still a great movie. I'm a little hazy on the details of the plot since it was one of those silent "art" films; the handheld cinematography also left something to be desired and the doctor kept yapping the entire time about femurs and cranial hemispheres, but the climax of the film was awesome: It turns out that the star is actually a girl. It was sort of like The Crying Game, but in reverse and way less disturbing. So, at this point we're pretty sure that The Hybrid is really a hybridette, but since "hybridette" doesn't have such a nice ring to it we'll probably still call her The Hybrid. Well, not necessarily as her first name; here in France they'd butcher it and end up calling her "Zee Heebreed", and that's just unattractive.

P.S. Our doctor had led us to believe that the ultrasound would be in 3D/4D, which allows you to see actual facial features (as opposed to the picture above, which is more of a two-dimensional "flat" image of The Hybrid's profile). We're considering going to a specialist to have a real 4D sonogram done so we can sneak a peek at the little one; considering that the cost is only around EUR 150 per session, we don't really have much to lose. Of course, if any of you want to see the pictures and video, we'll be happy to share ... for a reasonable fee.

7 comments:

Panagiota said...

We're more than pretty sure right honey? Given that we saw actual genitalia, I'd say that we know without a doubt that the baby is a girl.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I can't be more excited for the two of you, although I must admit that I can not make out anything from the ultrasound picture. I guess that is old news because I never could see anything from the ultrasounds of any of our kids.

If you can, call Nanya to let her know. She was asking when we talked to her on Sunday. She will be delighted to hear the news from you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

I will be the most awesomest uncle, too. I'll tell her cool stories about Vichy, the Popular Front, and political culture in mid-20th century France, and she'll listen for the first year or so because she won't be able to walk away like everyone else!

In the meantime, the Hybrid seems to be pretty relaxed in there. It's probably because I can't see things right in the ultrasound, but it looks like her arms are back behind her head, as if she were resting in a kind of ambiotic hammock. Comfy!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I dont see any arms behind the head, derek, but on the top right of the picture I like to think is her toes, since she's bunched up in there. I'm sure i'm wrong, but it'd be funny. And besides, we all know that I'd be the best uncle. Forcing her to play football, basketball, and watch cartoons. It's every girls' dream come true!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome news....Chicks rock!

Anonymous said...

dad's gonna have a heart attack- three daughters and now 5 granddaughters!

we did the 3d/4d ultrasound with alex. we got a clip of her yawning. was really cool but don't expect to see detailed facial features.

Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov, Congratulations and all that jazz on your little baby girl! We're excited for you. XO!