Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom and Derek!

Act I, Scene 1: The year is 1980. The setting is the inside of a restaurant in a small town. People are dressed in ugly early-80s clothing and sporting bad haircuts all around. Enter a tall Man with enormous hair and a petite Woman with an enormous gut. Sorry, my bad; it's a baby belly.

Man: Happy birthday, darling. I hope you're hungry; I made these reservations weeks ago so we could celebrate this special moment together. Just the two of us.
Woman (sitting at the table and speaking in a slight French accent): Sank you, cheri. I am fameeshed. I could heat a orse I am so ongry.
[splashing noise from under the table; her water has just broken]
Woman (dismayed): Oh, crap. Not again!
[fade]

Act II, Scene 1: Several hours later. The setting is a hospital room in a small town. Nurses are dressed in ugly early-80s hospital gowns and sporting bad haircuts all around. Woman with enormous gut ... belly ... is lying on a bed in stirrups; Man with enormous hair is standing at her side. Enter a Doctor in a white coat with a stethoscope around his neck.

Doctor: Well, Mrs. Vanderpool, we haven't seen you in a while. What's it been, 14 months since your last delivery?
Woman: Shut eet, you ass clown, and geeve me an epidural!
Man: Push, darling.
Woman: Can the "darling" crap, sweetheart. You're ze one who got me into zees mess! I just wanted to cuddle!
Doctor: Now, now you two; don't start that whole argument again. I told you four years ago that you should have limited yourself to the first one. I should know; I have a medical degree.
[Doctor peers between the stirrups]
Doctor: Crap, no time for that now! I can see the head! Whoa, would you look at the hairline on that sucker!
Man: Push, darling.
Woman (grunting): Oh, would you geeve eet a rest already?
[fade]

Act III, Scene 1: One hour later. The setting is a recovery room in a hospital in a small town. The walls are painted in ugly early-80s colors and sporting bad furniture all around. Woman with enormous gut ... belly ... is lying on a bed looking exhausted; Man with enormous hair is sitting beside her looking traumatized. Enter a Nurse in a white coat and gigantic beehive hairdo with a baby-sized bundle.

Nurse: Mrs. Vanderpool? I brought you your ... baby. We did the best we could, but this is as good as we could make him look. [hands bundle to Woman]
[Woman and Man look at bundle; wince simultaneously]
Woman: Are you sure that thees ees hour baby?
Man: Yeah, I mean, look at the hairline on that sucker.
Nurse: Oh, we're sure, all right. You can tell because he still has his tail; the doctor said that he'd have it removed tomorrow.
Man (shuddering): Oh; right. [gazes into the bundle] Aw, look honey, he has your ... teeth? [peers closer questioningly]
Woman (sighing): Thees ees the worst birthday EVER.
[fade]

4 comments:

Panagiota said...

Happy Birthday mom and Derek!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday mom and derek! don't pay attention to lee's blog, guys: derek-you were a beautiful balding baby, and mom-you accent wasnt that bad (i think...i wasnt born yet at the time)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Vanderpool and Derek!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everybody! And Happy Birthday, Mom!!

Also, for the record, I had hair when I was born. It was only later that I ended up looking like a baby Bill Murray.