Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Godfather

This weekend Panagiota and I served as proxy godparents to the nine-month old of a friend of Pegs'. I had never met the couple, or the kid for that matter, but I tagged along anyway and signed on the dotted line. Frankly, I'd never heard of a stand-in godfather before, and I'm not sure what the job entails. Maybe I should have asked a question or two beforehand. I mean, in the event that the real godparents can't attend the kid's first eucharist, does that mean that I have to go? Was I supposed to get him a bible or something? What if fifteen years from now he asks me about my position on contraception? Do I lie and say I agree with the Vatican? Worse yet, what if the baptism is void and I've doomed his soul to hell?

Wow, it sure is a good thing I don't believe in any of that stuff.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am skeptical of people who can't show up for a christening being appropriate godparents.

Panagiota said...

Except that it costs mucho dinero to fly to Paris, especially when the dollar is so weak and hotels here are so expensive.

Lee said...

I did a little research, and apparently as a godfather I'm supposed to pet cats, mumble a lot and scare small children by putting orange wedges in my mouth and grimacing. Oh, and have people rubbed out.

Anonymous said...

Horses everywhere beware.