Friday, May 02, 2008

Birthday Wrap-up!

It's been a while since we put up our last birthday post, so we're going to catch up a bit and celebrate all of them at once. If you think that makes your birthday seem less special because you have to share it with someone else, you have our apologies. And pity.


Reaching all the way back to when we were in the US, Michael "Double Daddy" Harris feted his 30th birthday this year by finishing 2 major projects for work, taking 3 exams for school, cooking 1 brisket for Passover, fathering 2 children, running a 1/2-marathon and still finding the time and energy to take his wife out to 1 dinner. For those of you who aren't enrolled in an MBA program, that works out to 2 * (3+1) * 2 + (0.5 * 26) + 1 = 30.


Next up on the birthday list, Mr. Dimitrios "Big Daddy" Alexandropoulos had another chronia pola this March. Although we couldn't be with him on his big day, Pegs and I marked the occasion by watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding again for the umpteenth time. No matter how many times I see that movie, I can't get over how eerily it parallels our lives: when we met, Pegs was Frump Girl working at a travel agency and I was a long-haired vegetarian high school English teacher. After that, the similarities become a bit more tenuous.


Today's birthday boy is Mr. Eric "Soon-to-be-Daddy" Schwesinger, who at this moment is almost certainly celebrating by smacking one of his six computer screens and exhorting his minions to "Trade faster, dumbass!" Seriously, though, Mr. Schwesinger is an excellent boss; this year he installed bedpans underneath the desks of his traders and set up a device that rewards them with a peanut every time they make $1000 on a trade.


Next up on today's birthday list is Jill "Baby Momma" Wasserman. This morning a Guinness representative called Jill to let her know that she had set another world record, this time for most days spent without sleep by a working mother. Her other world records include best delivery of pregnancy news, longest time accepting a spouse's Pound Puppy in her bed and curliest hair on a caucasian. Mike was just happy to get another case of free Guinness.



Finally, Ms. Amy "Who's-Your-Momma?" Harris rounds out our birthday post out on the West Coast. At least, I think that Amy's on the West Coast right now, although odds are equally good that she woke up this morning, grabbed a backpack and headed off to spend a year living with the natives in some remote place like Venezuela or India or Cleveland. No matter where you are, Amy, we hope you're having a good one and that you got all your immunization shots ahead of time. Especially if you're in Cleveland.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, MikDimitriEriJillAmy HarrAlexanSchwesWasserIs! May your collective three-month-long birthday have been/be/will be everything you would like it to have been/be.

Amy said...

Thanks for the fun birthday wishes, Lee! I am in fact still on the West Coast, and I plan to spend my birthday weekend taking to the wilds of Mt Hood Meadows, where I will repeatedly whip down hundreds of meters of mountain on two thin sticks over fifteen-foot deep snow. Or would that be fiften-feet deep snow. In any case, I'm going skiing.

In different news, I heard you saw the Harris-parents. Send them my love!

Panagiota said...

Happy Birthday Everybody!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Everybody from me too!

Lee, the point of introducing you to the people in the office was not to depersonalize them further. I don't give them a peanut, I give them their peanut. And they read this blog to see funny pictures of me.

Okay. I now have racked 96 hours of consecutively not trading. That has not happened since my honeymoon. Oil markets open in 20 minutes. See ya.

Mike, where are you getting your MBA?

-EHS

Panagiota said...

Ok, two things

1. I don't know why, but I had this sudden urge to google you after I saw that you left a comment. I, understandably, got bored pretty quickly looking at the search results, but right before that happened I read this "The man on the right is Eric Schwesinger of Calgary, Alta. Eric is doing a good job of watching the steam gauge."

You know, I've always said that if there is one thing Eric would be good at, it would be watching the steam gauge.

and 2. I read your comment to Mike as "Mike, where are you getting your M&N?" To which I replied in my head "Duh! from Jill."

You know it's going to be a Mouth of Pegs if I tell Lee in the morning, so I might as well get it over with while I can't sleep.

Lee said...

Eric, I didn't mean to depersonalize the people in your office; I wanted to demonstrate their level of commitment to the EHS team. Not everyone manages to trade every day with a black hood over his head while stacked in a naked human pyramid. Go Team!

As for funny pictures, you don't think that a self-photography pic by Kathryn of the two of you on an ATV in Mexico is funny? You need to start drinking more, my friend. Or less. One or the other.

Unknown said...

I may be too sexually inexperienced to know what M&N is.

Incidentally, I took the picture while driving the ATV at 40 mph in an unpaved Mexican road. Kathryn is leaning over the sticker that says “this vehicle is unsafe for more that one occupant”, and attempting to wrestling the camera out of my hand. Crazy kids.

Anonymous said...

I think M&N means Milo and Nina. Or at least, that's what I want it to mean.