Thursday, August 28, 2008

Black Star

Back when I posted the Iron & Wine cover of Radiohead's No Surprises, Derek sent me a link to Gillian Welch and David Rawling's cover of the song Black Star at Bonnaroo 2007. For some reason I never put it up, but I think that I personally account for 437 of the 2,074 views it's had. This is by far the best cover I've ever heard of Black Star, and possibly the best Radiohead cover ever, notwithstanding that Gillian mixes up the last lines of the second and third verses. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that in its own way the cover might ... just might ... be better than the original tune, which is no mean feat. You be the judge: the first video is of Radiohead performing at the Astoria all the way back in 1994; the second is of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings playing at Bonnaroo in 2007.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, derek told me about the gillian welch video...i'm just not a big fan of "Black Star" in general...i think it's one of the weakest songs on the album. With that being said the harmonizing is a nice touch to the cover, and the solo (although messed up a couple of times) was very cool as well.

Anonymous said...

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings are fantastic. If anyone out there doesn't own any of their albums, go out an buy them. Or better yet, let me know and I'll have a readied list of birthday and Christmas presents for a few years.

Panagiota said...

Such Great Heights is also a great Iron and WIne cover. Better than the original in my opinion.