Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Funny Guy

After lunch on Saturday, Sofia and I went to the grocery store to buy some last-minute provisions for the birthday party. Among other things, I wanted some balloons to put on our mailbox so people who had never been to the house would know where to turn. I asked the balloon lady for two pink balloons (for Sofia) and two blue balloons (for me). The lady pulled out a couple of pink balloons, held them up and asked to confirm, "Two pink?" I quipped, "Well, I was hoping for something a little more muted, but I guess that's not TOO pink." She gave me a completely blank stare, which prompted me to explain my "two / too" joke. "Oh; very funny," she said unconvincingly. Just then, right when I was about to get all embarrassed for my horrible pun, Sofia exclaimed gleefully, "HA! My daddy is a funny guy!" Some people may call it pandering to the lowest common denominator; I call it appealing to a target audience of one.

No comments: