Sunday, September 24, 2006

Does anybody want a HUG?

Like all good socialist countries, France provides many benefits for its "hard-working" and (seriously) underpaid employees. One of these is "Tickets Restaurants", a program in which many employers participate, basically subsidizing an employee's lunch. They look like checks and are accepted in restaurants all over Paris.

Now, there's this homeless/unemployed guy (HUG) who hangs out on boulevard St. Michel in front of this closed down shop. I don't usually get annoyed by HUGs, but this one in particular pisses me off. I don't mind if they choose to sit on the street and ask for money. I don't even mind if they have a sign with some sort of sob story about kids to feed, women to impress, electronics to buy. But this HUG has a sign that says, and I translate, "I accept Tickets Restaurants". He has a big, fat belly, and he sits in a comfortable chair with a huge umbrella for the rain and a huge parasol for the sun. He listens to his radio and is surrounded by teddy bears. And he sleeps all day. And this HUG has the audacity to accept Tickets Restaurants? I mean, come on.

But it gets better. Lee and I were on our way back home from brunch today, and guess who decided to take a day off? Our favorite HUG. I guess in France, even HUGs get Sunday off.

It's a shame, because I had an extra Ticket.

No comments: