Little America
As someone who used to say that he was half-French but all-American (a rather bold statement given my complete lack of athletic ability), it somewhat pains me to admit a simple fact about our new home: there seems to be too much of America here in Paris.Saying that there are too many American tourists here during the summer months is nothing profound. In August, English speakers outnumber French speakers by as many as four to one as the Paris residents flee the city in droves, abandoning their beloved city to the invading armies of pasty yokels in ill-fitting shorts from the backwoods of God-Knows-Where, USA. The few Parisians left behind are easy to spot; just look for the fashionably thin people giving directions to the Eiffel Tower to the overfed and underdressed podunks from Topeka. In English.
Still, as annoying as the hordes of double-wide American asses may be, they are but a fleeting frustration in the grand scheme of things. Like a bad case of herpes, they flare up when they're least welcome, and they're annoying as hell, but at least you can take some cold comfort in knowing that eventually they'll go away. No, my beef as of late has been the growing number of Americans who have decided to hop across the pond and settle down in this neck of the woods: the ex-pats who live, work and play among us.
Or at least I would ... except that most Americans living here don't quite make it that far. Sure, a lot of Americans who live here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis eat the cheese and drink the wine and go away to the country on the weekend, but it's like they're cheating. They have it too easy. I mean, is it really adapting if everywhere you look there are imports and conveniences tailored specifically to the American consumer? If there's a McDonald's on the corner eager to help me and my fellow ex-pats take a break today? Or if the twenty-one (and counting) Starbucks locations scattered through the city are there to provide us with that familiar shot in the arm of caffeine every morning?Well, it wouldn't matter if so many ex-pats didn't patronise them consistently. From many ex-pats, I often get the feeling that Paris isn't a foreign city to them at all; it's more like New York with better scenery and cuter accents. But can you blame them? There are innumerable websites, newspapers and TV programs designed to make the American abroad feel at home. Despite the efforts of the Academie Francaise to bring a halt to the anglicisation of the French language (good luck, fellas), untold quantities of advertisements and signs are displayed in English, targeting ex-pats and their abundant dollars. To be sure, it's not the ex-pats who are to blame for the market targeting them, but the simple fact is that Americans never have to travel very far to fall back within their old habits and language.
Even local stores fall guilty to aiding and abetting the Americanization of Paris. There are at least two English-only bookstores run by American ex-pats within easy walking distance of our apartment that Pegs and I know about, with countless others dotted throughout the city. Within a couple of blocks from where we live there are no less than three movie theaters that play American movies exclusively in VO (version originale, or English language with French sub-titles), and at least half of the people lining up to see these movies on any given night are speaking English at full volume.
Just what do these ex-pats think they're doing? Why are they cloaking themselves in the trappings of French life, just to worship the icons of American excess? Maybe I'm generalizing a bit, but wasn't one of the reasons they came here in the first place to get away from that lifestyle? I mean, if they really want to live here, why do they still go back to the ways that they left behind? Why not abandon the Americanisms and stride boldly ahead into a more gallic future?
There's no doubt about it, I'm part of the problem: I'm addicted to American culture, as terrible and superficial and fattening as it may be. The problem is that it takes a real effort to wean yourself from it, especially when you know that even here in Paris there's a dealer right around the corner just waiting to sell you another little slice of apple pie, or even cheesecake. But if we as Americans are going to live here in this, our adopted city and adopted country, we need to learn to give up the follies of our youth and try to live more in the present.
Hello, my name is Lee, and I'm an American.
6 comments:
Like I said to you earlier, the problem isn't really the fact that Americans do American things in France. If an American wants to enjoy a hamburger in Paris while reading a copy of US magazine in front of a movie theater featuring Mission Impossible 3 and Jackass: Number 2 in VO, that's his own business.
Not everyone in a city lives there because he or she wants to. Would Mom and Dad have moved to Las Vegas if not for Dad's job? Would Vanessa have moved back to New Orleans had it not been for medical school? Would Pegs have moved to Paris without you? Would Ariel without me, for that matter?
Granted, all of these people now enjoy the places where they live (I hope). But that doesn't stop our parents from hoarding Community Coffee or Vanessa from asking for shipments of Trader Joe's goods (I've been really, really slack about those - sorry). And if the opportunity to enjoy parts of your old life are readily available, I think few people have the will power to resist for the sake of having a "true French experience."
What's annoying is when those who regularly fall prey to globalized temptations then try to pass themselves off as living in a French lifestyle. How? By eating baguettes with brie and going to work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. with a two hour lunch break in the middle (that is, when they're not at home enjoying their two months of vacation time a year or the myriad national holidays)?
In short, "Little America" isn't what's annoying; it's the hypocrisy that so often goes with it. I think that as long as you admit that you're not actually experiencing the French culture, like you pretty much said in your blog, then you're fine. And if you want to change that, well, then as you said, you've taken the first step.
I just wrote a really long, and to be honest, brilliant comment - but my computer erased it and it's gone. Too bad for Lee and Pegs, as it would have given them precious insight into their lives as Americans / Greek-Canadians living in France. Suffice for me to now point out how much I enjoyed the fact that Pegs is in the Starbucks photo ordering a coffee. It works perfectly with your entry.
I guess it didn't erase it. heh heh... And now that you can see it, you'll realize it's not so profound after all. I was joking about that..................... yes I'm awesome!
In my defense, I watch French TV every day and I never go to Starbucks. I went this weekend because we had been walking around all morning/early afternoon and I hadn't had anything to eat.
I think both of you are overthinking it. The world is getting smaller and smaller. It's happening everywhere, not just in France. And, Frenchies love their Starbucks.
True. The frogs do love their Starbucks, and I'd like to emphasize once again that Pegs only goes for an occasional cup of coffee there.
I hear what you're saying, Derek, but let's make a distinction. Even if you didn't choose to move to Paris willingly, or even if you're there by coincidence or happenstance (we should all be so lucky), you still need to learn to adapt to your new home. Ordering Community Coffee over a local blend or asking to have a few things shipped from home is fine and normal; no one is expected to abandon their roots entirely, and everyone can recognize that certain brands are better than others. The hypocrisy you mentioned is annoying, but what gets me are the ex-pats who seemingly refuse to adapt at all by choosing only American goods and services: only drinking Starbucks; only reading in English; only watching US shows and news; constantly going to US-style restaurants. You may still have a preference for your hometown flavors, but broaden your palette a little bit. I'm just as guilty as the rest, if not more so, and I point that out in the post.
I have changed my mind. I now agree with Pegs. As does Ariel. Sorry Lee. Pegs, you rock.
Post a Comment