The Final Countdown
Ever get a song stuck in your head and just can't get rid of it, no matter how much you try? It used to happen to me all the time. Usually, the worse the song was, the harder it was for me to escape its aural grasp on my brain. Vanilla Ice, Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys have all tormented me in the past with their synthetic instrumentation and syncopated rhythms, but ever since we moved to Europe and distanced ourselves from American radio, I've found that my "episodes" have been greatly reduced.Fast-forward to today. I've been working on a new credit agreement since the beginning of the weekend (and by that I mean all weekend) to make sure that it's ready to send to the client by tomorrow night. The pressure is mounting to get it out the door, there's still a lot of work to be done, and I'm starting to get nervous that I won't make the deadline. The last thing I need is to be distracted or aggravated, and what pops into my head and won't get out? The Final Countdown. By Europe. Oh, the sweet, sweet irony.
The only way I've ever been able to shake haunting melodies in the past is to share the pain with someone else; a sort of musical exorcism, if you will. Since I can't sing The Final Countdown to you over the internet, I decided I'll do the next best thing and ask you to click here. You won't regret it, I promise. Well, maybe just a little bit.
8 comments:
Worst synth line...ever! I now share your pain. Ass.
Ariel's antidote when an annoying song gets stuck in her head is to sing a replacement song - for some reason it usually turns out to be The Mama's and the Papa's "California Dreaming." I tried it out though, and all it made me do was hate Mama Cass.
Crosstown Traffic - Hendrix.
Now you have one song replaced with another.
For some reason, your post reminded me of the time my friend Amy Callahan asked Damien, "If you could describe your love life with one song, which one would it be?"
Damien's response: "Rock You Like a Hurricane."
My response on behalf of Damien? "Beat It".
My response on behalf of Lee? "Eat It"
My response to trump all responses? "Push It"
Ah, push it
Ah, push it
Oooh, baby, baby
Baby, baby
Oooh, baby, baby
Baby, baby
Get up on this
Push it good
P-push it real good
Ah, push it
Get up on this
Is this Dr. J
a) the famous Dr. David Jeffrey
b) the slightly more famous Julius Irving
c) another Dr. J. with whom I am not familiar
No matter which one, it's been a long time! Hello!!
Sadly, I am no longer in Chapel Hill. Happily, though, I'm in sunny Palo Alto, enjoying the life of a Stanford graduate student. Sadly, I'm a HISTORY graduate student, which means I cannot look forward to any sort of financial rewards for my efforts and must constantly put up with people asking, "History? What's the point of doing THAT?" People like our President, who actually came to Stanford this past spring and asked this very question before a group of students. Sigh...
Post a Comment