Friday, November 10, 2006

Coinkydink? I don't think so.

Have you seen the movie I Heart Huckabees? I won't ruin it for you if you haven't, but basically the main character keeps running into this guy and so he decides to hire existential detectives to help him figure out if it's just a coincidence or if there is a deeper meaning.

For our wedding last year, Lee and I hired a car and driver (it will make sense in a minute, just stay with me). We didn't get a limo or anything, we just used an executive car rental agency and got a normal luxury car with a driver. We knew the car would be nice, but we got really lucky with the driver. He was really helpful and kind. For example, the day of our wedding was cold and rainy (despite the fact that it looks sunny in the picture, it wasn't), especially given that it was the middle of July, and when I had to open a can of whoop ass on our idiot photographer for taking us to a windy bridge in the middle of the Seine for our wedding pictures, our driver very calmly drove us to a pretty garden near the Eiffel Tower that was shielded from the wind by these enormous buildings. And he was really sweet and shuttled the grandparents to the boat for the reception and came back for us. Plus, he had this great, infectious smile.

Fast forward a year later. I'm walking to Lee's office and guess who I see outside one of the fancy hotels on the rue de Rivoli, standing in front of his car? Our driver! I smiled at him, but I don't think he recognized me. He smiled back with a quizzical look on his face, but I'm guessing he just thought I was checking him out. Which makes sense because I totally was. Kidding. Not really.

Fast forward to today. I'm walking around doing my Christmas shopping and guess who I see standing by his car outside of the Galleries Lafayette? Our driver! I was going to go up to him and say hi!, but he was busy checking out the j.lo-be-lo on these three hoochie mamas with his hand in his pant's pocket moving around suspiciously close to his Charlie Browns.
Coincidence? Or deeper meaning? Dun dun dun duuuuuuun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely deeper meaning.

Anonymous said...

Lee, spend more time with your wife. Next thing you know, she's going to be checking out cabbies.

Panagiota said...

hhmmmm, cabbies.