Saturday, January 13, 2007

Everything moves at 670 million miles per hour

Have you ever felt dumb? I mean like really dumb? Well, I have. And not infrequently either. But more than ever before, I am feeling particularly stupid at this period in time. And it's all because of this book I'm reading entitled The Elegant Universe. There are paragraphs in this book that I have quite literally read 10 times in a row, and I still don't understand what the author's talking about.

The book is about the superstring theory of physics. I won't get into the specifics right now, but let's just say that I have a completely new-found respect for physicists. Even physicists that other physicists think suck. Even the most basic aspects of superstring theory (and Einstein's theorems) would completely change the way most people think of the universe. This book is just so freaking mind-blowing.

Wouldn't it be funny though if a group of people who didn't really know anything about physics read this book for a book club and sat around discussing it? I would pay cash money to listen in on that. What a great idea for a reality TV show. Each week, choose a bunch of different people whose one unifying thing is that they don't know anything about a particular subject and assign them to read a book about it. Then, tape them discussing it. It's genius. I hereby copyright this idea so nobody better steal it. Derek.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I can back Pegs up on this one: there's nothing funnier than listening to her try to explain some quantum physics concept when she's reading this book in bed while half-asleep. "No, Lee, you don't understand. See, we're all traveling at the speed of light, it just doesn't seem that way because of all the gravity and extra dimensions and shit." It's like listening to a communications major trying to explain why you can never step into the same river twice after he's had a couple of hits off his frat brother's six foot bong.