Tech support
OK, Pegs seems to have fixed the wireless modem problem by switching its PCI card slot with our ethernet card, so the home computer should be up and running. If anything, however, this whole misadventure just goes to support my developing theory that we should invest in an Apple laptop. We can't rely on Pegs' technical expertise and my raw unbridled charisma forever, and I never want to have to use the term "PCI card slot" again as long as I live. I've always been a little wary of the Mac-heads out there who proselytize more fervently than Baptist bible-beaters, but I'm starting to come around. I have no love for Microsoft or Windows, and as I understand it Apples never get viruses, work seamlessly with their hardware and now have no problem running all of our necessary Windows programs. Our home computer is about six years old now, so we're due for a switch at some point in the near future. The 15" MacBook Pro is looking pretty sweet, albeit a tad expensive at just under $2,850 pre-tax with the software and additional features I would order, including 200GB hard drive and some editing software. The MacBook Pro's 2.33GHz processor might be a little more than we need in terms of processing power (for example, I would settle for 2GB of RAM in favor of getting the 3GB option for an extra $575), but it would be nice to finally edit all of that video we've been taking on our digital camera and work with our music and photo files without keeping our fingers crossed that the computer doesn't stall. Anybody got any advice as to what we should do? Recommendations and/or cautionary tales are more than welcome.
1 comment:
A note on Mac's use of Windows programs:
So, apparently a friend of Ariel and mine who is pretty computer savvy tells us that what Macs do now is have the option of using either Windows or their own operating system, with everything memory-wise split between the two options on the computer. The part that uses Windows is still susceptible to viruses, spyware, adware, etc. Supposedly, though, the Mac operating system will continue to run even if the Windows part is kaput.
Yours truly,
A truly computer-illiterate individual
Post a Comment