Monday, March 05, 2007

I am the Queen of the run-on sentence

All the other sentences are like, "Damn, I want to be a run-on sentence too." I think run-on sentences are under-appreciated. Much like our friend the pignolia. And the parenthetical; it's like a pause in an undulating wave of information.

All you Vanderpool grammar nazis keep quiet.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how there were no run-ons in that post... In fact, there are a few incomplete sentences in there.

Grammar nazi out.

Panagiota said...

Yes, thank you Derek. I was attempting what we call humor.

And, by the way, just so non-Vanderpoolians understand why I call all of the Vanderpool children grammar nazis, I had this IM exchange with Lee right after he read the post: "The irony is that you did not use a run-on in the post, but you had TWO sentence fragments." And I know that right after Nana reads the post, and before she reads the comments, she will have the exact same thought. I know you guys so well. Much better than you know me.

Anonymous said...

Touche, Panagiota Alexandropoulos. Touche.

Anonymous said...

How well you know me, Pegs. Even if you have crappy grammar, I still like the way you write, so carry on....

Anonymous said...

In our defense, it's not our fault that Lee, Vanessa, and I had to cope with three years of Mrs. Irby's English classes in middle school. When an septagenarian with cigarettes, coffee, and a hint of whiskey on her breath jumps in your face and breathily hisses "You hhhhhave to maaaaake the claaauuuuses fit togaahhhhther" each time you have a comma splice or dangling modifier in your sentence, you tend to learn grammar pretty fucking quick. Our deathgrip retention of grammatical rules isn't just a sign of assholiness; it was a hard-learned method of self preservation.

Lee said...

True, but being an asshole doesn't help. Just watch: last time I checked, "septuagenarian" (which you misspelled by the way), doesn't begin with a vowel. Hence, you should have used "a" instead of "an".

Good use of the term "assholiness", though.

Panagiota said...

Wow. You guys are losers.

Lee said...

You're just upset because you failed the quiz I posted.

Anonymous said...

Duly noted. I originally wrote "octogenarian" (hence the "an") but decided that she probably wasn't that old while we were in middle school. She just looked that old. Booze and cigarettes do not help one's complexion.

Panagiota said...

Whatever dude. You screwed up. Don't make excuses.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Damien is the only normal one. Or, he knows when to keep quiet.

Anonymous said...

I'm not making excuses. I'm explaining. There's a difference.