Sunday, May 20, 2007

Weekend Update

We were supposed to go to Dubrovnik this weekend, but as you've probably guessed, it didn't happen. I'm usually pretty lucky when it comes to taking time off; aside from a few weekend trips, I've never had to cancel a major vacation once I've bought my tickets. I knew pretty well in advance that this weekend wasn't going to work out, though, barring the deal completely falling through or the client firing us for some reason. As tempted as I was to sabotage the whole process, I figured that I had better think of my job security before a weekend trip. I'll know better next time.

Anyway, it's Sunday and (just like yesterday) I'm in the office before 10:00. On Friday (b-day) I was in meetings until past 22:00 and here at the office until well past midnight, and last night I got back home around 23:00 and ate a slice of pizza and a slice of carrot cake (mmmm) while watching The Office. Pegs had hit the sack well before I got home last night, but I needed to decompress before I went to bed, so I played PlayStation until about 3:00 a.m. or so. Not smart, really, but what are you going to do? Sometimes you need to unwind, and as bad as video games may be, in my book they still rank a couple of notches ahead of drinking by yourself in the dark on a Saturday night.

This morning Pegs was completely out of it. She had gotten up a couple of times during the night (once to get her headache medicine), and when I got up she asked me to get some more migraine relief pills from her purse. At one point the pain was so intense that she got nauseated and almost threw up; I think she would have hurled if there had been anything in her stomach. I tried everything I could to make her more comfortable before I had to go to work (got her a drink, set aside something to eat in case she got hungry, filled her ice pack), but there's only so much you can do to ease a migraine. At that stage, the only thing Pegs wants anyway is a gun to paint the walls with her throbbing brains; seeing as how I kind of like her brains inside her head, I try to avoid complying with that particular request. It was really tough to leave her this morning; I wanted more than anything to crawl back in bed with her and be there if she needed anything, but we still have to get some documents finished and I'll probably be in the office for the rest of the day.

Interesting observation: this morning when I got out of the cab outside of the office (did I mention that it's raining?), I saw something you don't see every day: a stretch Volvo limo. I used to see limos and town cars all the time in New York, but they're not so common here in Paris, and I can't remember ever seeing a stretch Volvo. Especially a bright blue one. Who buys those things, anyway? Really tall rich people who are only slightly more concerned with safety than with appearances? Weird. Anyway, it was an interesting way to kick off the work day. Not interesting enough to merit getting out of bed, mind you, but my life is so depressing at this moment that I'll take what I can get.

On a side note, I wanted to send a super big shout out to everyone who called or wrote to wish me a happy birthday. Especially the entire Swedish Bikini Team. You ladies didn't have to include all of those pictures involving hardhats and foam and ostrich feathers with your card, but I appreciate it.

No comments: