Chocolate Soap?
Early this afternoon I was in a meeting for about an hour and a half, and when I came back my officemate had arrived and was in the middle of cleaning her desk. The meeting had run through lunch, and I hadn't eaten anything since the night before, so I was starving. I was considering eating one of the erasers on my desk when I distinctly smelled chocolate. "Did you just drink a hot chocolate or something?" I asked my officemate. She replied no, so I asked if she had just eaten something with chocolate in it. She again said no and asked me why I seemed to have chocolate on the brain. I told her that I could smell it quite clearly and it was making me even hungrier than I already was. Suddenly there was a dawn of comprehension across her face, and she told me that this morning she had used a new type of soap and perhaps that was what I was smelling. What kind of soap, I asked. Her answer? Chocolate soap.
I've seen a lot of ingredients used in soap before (oatmeal, lavendar, honey, olives, etc.), but I've never heard of chocolate soap before. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or not forward-thinking enough, but I've never once eaten a bar of chocolate and thought to myself, "Man, I sure would like to smell like this ALL DAY." Granted, chocolate is not an unpleasant smell as far as odors go, but it does have a slight tendency to make those nearby salivate. And the fact that someone has gone to all the trouble of making chocolate soap begs the question: why not make soap that smells like other comestibles? How about butterscotch soap? Maple syrup soap? Pizza soap?
Mmm, pizza soap. They could sell it in triangular bars with little slices of pepperoni and bell peppers inside. I can see the ads now: "Try new Dominos brand pizza body wash, now with twice the exfoliating power of Italian sausage."

8 comments:
unfortunately, as a married man with child on the way, you have stumbled upon the world's best pick up line/ conversation starter.
them's the breaks
...says his married brother.
why doesn't it surprise me that it was laetitia who bought chocolate soap?
i accidentally typed chocolate soup. hmmm, chocolate soup.
who else has never heard the word "comestibles?"
Comestible: Something suitable to be eaten; food.
It's derived from Latin; those of you who speak Spanish will recognize the similarity to the Spanish verb "comer", meaning "to eat". French speakers will also recognize it as a French word of the same spelling with the same meaning.
Therefore I'd be willing to hazard a guess that a lot of people have heard of the word, provided they speak English, Spanish, French or Latin.
i want a show of hands....
i never heard that word. and remember i'm very smile
I don't think its usage is very common in English, in spite of what Lee says.
Post a Comment