
Due to various reasons, I've decided not to leave the apartment for the next few months. In order to stave off boredom, I need some movie suggestions. Any suggestions are welcome, but specifically I'd like some guilty pleasure movie suggestions. Movies that you like but are too embarrassed to admit you like. For example, Lee loved
The Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan, but probably doesn't want anyone to know. You can leave the comment anonymously if you are too embarrassed to admit to liking a particular movie. And none of this skipping over this post and not suggesting anything crap. I'm pregnant and bitchy and I want suggestions dammit!
27 comments:
I gotta say, anything that can be run as a marathon.
The Bonds are pretty brainless.
If you want just girly viewing to parallel Lee's 'Parent Trap', I would go with several seasons of the Gilmore Girls.
And all of my reply comments about the size of the meat would not be appropriate next to ultrasound results.
Continuing with the marathon theme, you could watch all three extended cut versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
If you want TV shows, a somewhat guilty pleasure of mine is Firefly, which only lasted one season. I say somewhat because it's by the guy who made Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it's a sci-fi show with a western tone and feel. However, I think it's good. And if you want more, the movie Serenity picks up where the show left off. And then there are new TV shows like Heroes, which is not nearly as good as something like the first season of Lost, but it WANTS to be and is pretty entertaining, I thought.
In funny movies, if you haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet, you should definitely watch that. Hilarious.
Hot Fuzz may be my favorite movie of all time.
--Mean Girls; LL's last movie worth seeing.
--Another vote for Gilmore Girls. They rock and I miss them.
--Weeds; first 2 seasons out on DVD.
--Entourage
Enjoy!
I'd have to say that 80s movies are probably my favorite guilty-pleasure movies. Maybe it's because they were in such heavy rotation on HBO when I was growing up, or maybe because they bring me back to a more innocent era. Anyway, here are a few (in alphabetical order):
"Better Off Dead" starring John Cusack. The writers must have been high most of the time they wrote this one, because half of it is simply insane. If you like this, you'll probably also have fun with "One Crazy Summer" in which John Cusack plays essentially the same character with support from Demi Moore and the guy who played Booger in Revenge of the Nerds (one of my other entries). Best line: "I want my two dollars!"
"Big Trouble in Little China" starring Kurt Russell. Kurt Russell plays a trucker who somehow gets mixed up in some ancient war between Chinatown residents and half of the cast of Mortal Kombat. Jokes, martial arts and faux mythology ensue. Best scene: Kurt Russell catches a knife thrown at him and throws it into the forehead of the bad guy, all in the same fluid movement. So fucking bad-ass.
"Brewster's Millions" starring Richard Pryor. Richard Pryor could have read a list of genocide victims in front of a camera for two hours and still made it funny; fortunately, he had a lot better material to work with here. Best line: John Candy chanting "Ten million, ten million, ten million dollars!"
"Delirious" by Eddie Murphy. This doesn't really count as a movie, but this is the funniest Eddie Murphy has ever been on film. And I'm not just talking about his outfit. Best line: "Y'aint got no ice cream! Y'aint got no ice cream!"
"Gotcha!" starring Anthony Edwards. Back in the 80s I definitely identified with the type of desperate teenage lust that could fuel a guy not only to cross over into East Berlin, but also to take on a whole bunch of trained assassins armed only with a tranquilizer gun. Best line (also possibly the best pickup line ever): "My name is Carlos. I'm an international assassin wanted by the police. I need a safe place to hide for a few hours. Can I stay at your place? Shhh! Say no more."
"Just One of the Guys" starring some chick with a great rack. Striking a blow for women's rights, an aspiring female journalist decides to disguise herself as a high school boy to prove that men are given preferential treatment. I forget how dressing up as a guy is supposed to prove this, but Sherilyn Fenn gets all hot and bothered for her/him at the same time that she/he falls for a soft-spoken and remarkably unattractive James Brown enthusiast. Meanwhile her sock-packing heavily hormonal brother just wants to get it on, and it doesn't matter with whom. Best scene: Where she proves to her crush (and the entire audience) that she's a girl.
"The Money Pit" starring Tom Hanks (before he got all dramatic and pudgy). I don't even know where to start with this movie; it's THAT good. Anyone who has ever bought a home, lived with someone, or breathed oxygen should find this movie funny. Best line: "Are you guys testing nuclear missiles here or what?"
"Revenge of the Nerds" starring Anthony Edwards. A bunch of geeks form a fraternity, beat the jocks at their own game and get laid. How could anyone not like this movie? Best line: "We've got bush!"
"Soul Man" starring C. Thomas Howell. Continuing with the theme of people in disguise, Howell decides to pose as a black man in order to get a scholarship to Harvard Law School. Bigotry, romance and hilarity result, and if you pay attention, you just might learn something about what it means to be black in America. Best scene: Howell's best friend rushes in with their Harvard acceptance letters, and Howell's bedmate gets all excited for him. The friend asks for introductions, so Howell apologizes for being rude, tells her his name and shakes her hand.
"Spies Like Us" starring Chevy Chase and Dan Ackroyd. This movie rocks. Chase and Ackroyd play two nincompoops trying to disarm a Soviet nuclear weapon before it can be fired at the US; all they have to overcome is the Red Army, the rogue officials who sent them there in the first place and their own incompetence. Best line: "Do you know what those things can do? Suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro!"
"Teen Wolf" starring Michael J. Fox. Social misfit Michael J. Fox learns that he's part werewolf, which apparently is a perfectly acceptable condition as long as it helps you play basketball. This just goes to prove my theory that women will still want to sleep with men, as ridiculously unattractive as they may be, so long as they can play sports. That's why I play checkers. Best line: "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body."
"Trading Places"
80s Movies that Lee Left Out:
Of course, Lee could not remember all the wonderful movies that HBO had to offer us as kids, and so I will include some more, according to themes, that Pegs can choose from. Starting with a similar theme from my last post, let us begin with fantasy.
1. Clash of the Titans - Not so much fantasy, technically, as ridiculous rendition of Greek mythology - but better than Jason and the Argonauts. Starting Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, Burgess Meredith, and the great Harry Hamlin as Perseus, who must defeat the Kraken using the head of Medusa to save the woman he loves!
2. The NeverEnding Story - Perhaps my favorite movie as a young child. A film about a nerd who hides from the bullies in his school so that he can read a book. Let's just say it spoke to me.
3. Labyrinth - The finest movie ever made with teenage Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie in tights. Best line: (David Bowie singing a duet with a little muppet ogre) "You remind me of the babe." "What babe?" "The babe with the power." "What power?" "The power of voo-doo." "Who do?" "You do!" "What?" "You remind me of the babe!"
4. The Beastmaster - Oh, how Lee and I loved this movie when we were younger. It's about a guy named Dar (come on, that's just brilliant already) who can talk to animals, including a tiger that the filmmakers painted black, and is seeking revenge against Rip Torn and a guy with moose antlers on his head. Awesomeness ensues.
5. Willow - It's got dwarves, it's got dragons, it's got trolls, it's got Val Kilmer. Adventure! Comedy! Romance! Greatness!!
6. The Princess Bride - I know, I know. It's not really a guilty pleasure movie. It's just a fantastic movie. And if anyone out there thinks I should feel guilty for liking it, then shame on you. Still, it's a movie you can watch over and over and over and over and over again, because it is fantastic.
Moving on quickly to other movies, which will no longer be divided by genre:
1) Joe Versus the Volcano
2) The Lost Boys (aka The only good film that Joel Schumacher has EVER made)
3) The Monster Squad
4) Tremors
5) Adventures in Babysitting
And I'm done. For now...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Hot Fuzz is the best movie of the year (even beating out Knocked Up and SuperBad which everyone loves (with good reason)).
How about a series of period pieces.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - This is U.S. History
Dazed and Confused – You get older. Everyone in that movie stays the same age.
American Graffiti – Have a little bash for yourself before parenthood
I'm going to have to say Cutting Edge - great story about an ice hockey turn figure skater. Other votes:
1.) Sixteen Candles
2.) Pretty in Pink
3.) Breakfast Club
4.) Neverending Story and Princess Bride (you are right Derek)
5.) The Notebook (I know I know - but I still cry everytime)
6.) Spaceballs!!!!!
Arrrrrgggghhhh!!!! How could I forget "The Beastmaster"? One of the greatest guilty pleasure movies of all time!!! That movie was so bad-ass that it had not one but TWO main villains: Rip Torn and Moosehead. And the fight scene at the end with the burning tar and the wierd vampire bat deus ex machina people? Soooooo good.
The Monster Squad was pretty damn fun, too.
Lucas, One Crazy Summer, Say Anything, The Grifters, PCU, E=mc2, Dr. Jekyll and Ms Hyde, Singles, Serendipity, Black Hawk Down, Runaway Jury, Old School, Smokin' Aces.
And the entire DVD of Entourage.
Jeremy Pivan....ohm.
Remember, we're talking about GUILTY pleasures, so I would recommend any film with Meg Ryan in it, and in particular "You've Got Mail" and "City of Angels." They're terrible, but I love them.
Also, I, too, recommend Gilmore Girls.
Finally, any costume drama - especially Jane Austen movies. The BBC miniseries of "Pride and Prejudice" is wonderful, as is Ang Lee's "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson.
Ariel, BBC is your "guilty pleasure?" Those are intellectual dramas that they make you watch in high school. What about those are "guilty," you nerd? :) Now, "City of Angels" -- yeah...I hear dat.
I don't know what to say. You guys are amazing. Who knew that all it would take is a little swearing to get some responses? I may have to come up with a way to keep this baby in here a little longer so that I can get through all of these.
Manequin...if that's how you spell it. and any movie with Cory Feldman
As much as I hate Keanu Reeves, I have to say that "Point Break" is pretty entertaining, and the fact that it's featured in "Hot Fuzz" helps validate it. Also in the action genre, "Beverly Hills Cop", "48 Hours", "Speed" (crap, am I a Keanu Reeves fan and didn't know it?), "Terminator 2" and one of the best movies that no one has mentioned yet: "Young Guns". Great ensemble cast.
How did we fail to mention "Police Academy"? Just the first one, mind you; the seventeen sequels were a bit much.
To round out this comment, here's a movie that Derek left out of the great 80s fantasies that, like Labyrinth, features a male lead in ridiculously frightening tights: "Krull". Hands down, it's the best movie with a telephathically controlled razor boomerang, teleporting mountain and cyclops. Ever.
Crap! I forgot Police Academy, Young Guns, AND Krull?! What's happening to my memory of terrible but wonderful movies?
After my recent shame, I will now try to redeem myself with another set of ridiculously bad movies made tolerable only by nostalgia.
80s Cartoon Movies - everything from Transformers to G.I. Joes to (God help me) Rainbow Bright and Care Bears. Of these, I've only seen Transformers recently, which is pretty difficult to watch without suffering multiple seizures. The rest might be completely unwatchable.
Arnold Schwartzenegger films - The honorable governor of my good state has put out some pretty awful stuff that's great for mild entertainment and great laughter at his expense. Among these include "Hercules Goes to New York," "Conan the Barbarian," "Predator," and "The Running Man."
After-school Specials with Theatrical Releases:
1. Mask - Not the terrible movie with Jim Carrey. The terrible movie with Eric Stoltz, Cher, and Sam Elliott.
2. The Boy in the Bubble - John Travolta flexes his acting chops.
3. The Boy Who Could Fly - I don't know why I liked this movie, but I did.
Another fantasy movie (though again, I'm not so ashamed of this one): Dark Crystal. The scariest movie with muppets ever.
Wacky, wacky comedies:
1. Short Circuit ("Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star??")
2. Summer School - Eighties stud Mark Harmon is forced to teach...that's right...summer school!
3. Weekend at Bernies
Other random bad movies that I watched as a kid:
1. The Wizard - A 90 minute commercial for that Nintendo glove controller and Super Nintendo starring Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis, who now is the lead singer of the band Rilo Kiley, which I actually like a lot (the band, I mean - though there last two albums have been uneven).
2. Star Man - "Green means go. Red means stop. Yellow means go faster."
3. Tron - the first movie with computer graphics
4. Red Dawn - Perhaps the mother of all guilty pleasure movies.
Okay, I must stop now before I turn into VH1. It might be too late.
1) Strange Brew
2) Blue Crush
3) 40 Days and 40 Nights
Ok, Mr. Anonymous. I'm curious -- what exactly about 40 days and 40 nights is the draw?
I think there are too many boys posting. Krull is terrible, Derek and Lee! Don't make her turn off the telly, she's pregnant... You're just cruel.
What about:
- Moulin Rouge
- Muriel's Wedding
- Love Actually
- Thelma and Louise
And if you're staying in the apartment, you might as well pretend you're having a sleepover and rent really crappy movies that you can giggle and and eat ice cream and wear your pajamas and stay up late, so:
- 13 Going on 30
- Billy Elliot
- My Best Friends Wedding
- Dirty Dancing
- Meet the Parents
- Breakfast Club
Ok. I better get back to work. Congratulations, by the way and I hope you're not too uncomfortable. Dereks friend Amy
Josh Hartnett + 3 dozen different breast shots makes 40 Days and 40 Nights unisex fun; not to be confused with you and I sex. That would be adultery.
Ok, Mr. Anonymous, with the emphasis on "MR" -- even Josh Hartnett does not make up with the atrocity that is that movie. Forget that the end is pretty much a rape scene (woman assaulting man, or the sex with a rose-stem, but the premise is so appallingly bad, that even my male friends had issues with it. No sex for 40 days? Is that REALLY a stretch of the imagination?
I think Amy has the right idea. More estrogen! :)
Amy - The "telly"? It's funny because you're turning Irish.
And for clarification, Ariel would like to proudly proclaim that she does not feel guilty in the least about loving the BBC. In fact, she thinks the Brits are the greatest people on earth, and the Irish had it coming (okay, I added the last part).
ooooh. ariel is in trouble. went to an "adult" circus last night and there were two british strongmen who stripped down to... tight union jack underwear. then the next guy "the amazing rubber man" who was finnish was admiring his own body (he can fit through a 10inch tennis racquet) and everyone laughed and he said "at least i'm not british, eh?" and he got the biggest laugh... even more than the naked lady that lip sang and danced to the entire song total eclipse of the heart. there was a grandpa in the front row that thought that was very funny, though.
what about my left foot? that's a very good movie. aren't lee and pegs living in england??? i was translating!
Post a Comment