How big is baby? Sooooo big!
Mr. Michael Harris and I were chatting yesterday about our upcoming arrivals (The Hybrid for us and the WonderTwins for them), and eventually the conversation turned to due dates, expected size, weight and other miscellany. Perhaps feeling a bit nostalgic for the good old days of Chateau of the Week, Mr. Harris proposed a contest, and I thought that it was too good a suggestion to pass up.
Here's the game: you tell us (a) when you think that The Hybrid will be born, (b) how big (long) she will be and (c) how much she will weigh. We're playing the same game ourselves in buying baby clothes, so there's no reason that you shouldn't play along, too. Here are a few facts that you should probably keep in mind when making your decision:
1) Pegs' US due date (i.e., 40 weeks) is 27 November; her French due date (i.e., 41 weeks) is 5 December.
2) At our 32-week checkup last Monday, The Hybrid was estimated to be 18 inches and 2.1 kilograms (3.36 pounds).
3) I'm about 6'3" and Pegs is about 5'8"; I'd tell you how much we weigh, but I value my testicles too much.
The person with the closest guess to the correct response in any category will be awarded a score of three; the second best guess will get a score of two; and the third best guess will earn a score of one. The person with the highest cumulative score wins.
What do you win, you might ask? Naming rights to The Hybrid.* That's right; we've gone back and forth too long to be bothered with it anymore, so you'll get to pick her name. We don't care if you want to name her Candi or Xenon or Starbucks, just choose a name that fits on the form and we'll use it.
One quick word of advice: if you value your testicles or other body parts as much as I do, don't guess anything too underweight, premature, overweight or overdue. Estimating that the baby will be three weeks overdue, weigh 15 pounds and be 29 inches is a good way to incur Pegs' wrath, and then I'll have to go postal on you.
*Not really, of course. You did notice my earlier statement about liking my testicles where they are, right? We'll think of something appropriate, though.

14 comments:
The hybrid will be 21.5” long, weigh 8.66 pounds, and arrive on 1 December.
I would like to name her Ping. Not only does Ping make great golf equipment but people use it in the US, France and Greece. This means people will be able to pronounce her name regardless of where you are, or at least the people worth talking to will.
PS: I would also like to name my child Ping, or at least Cooper but Jill’s rejected those names.
PPS: I would also like to find a name for my children that ends in the letter ‘s’ but the only name I can think of that does that is Jesus and as a Jew that just doesn’t work.
Actually, Lee's testicles are on my shit list at the moment, so go ahead and incur my wrath people.
20.5 inches
7.1 pounds
Born December 2, 2007
P.S. If we ever get a dog, I've told Michael he can name it Cooper.
I'm going with November 30, 2007, 7.5 pounds, and 21 inches.
Why those particular guesses? The date because little Esme (that's what I'm naming her) feels like a November baby. The height and weight because I have no idea how big a baby is supposed to be, but my answers are right in between the guesses from two people who actually know something about this.
Mike, in terms of names that end in 's', remember that Jesus was a Jew. Otherwise, you can go with Carlos, Aldous, Darius, or the ever-popular Trojan Paris.
Mike, you would have make a great Greek; they have tons of names that end in "s": Stefanos, Dimitrios, Nikolos, etc. The list goes on and on. In non-Greekie names, there's also Chris, Nicholas, Demetrius, Davis, Marcus, Remus, Romulus, Brutus, and a whole slew of others.
December 3
19.5 inches
8.7 lbs
Name: Olivia (so you can call her "your little Olive" which is sort of Greek, non?)
This sucks. All the best dates are taken...can I guess the same date, or is that kinda cheating?
If I can't guess the same date, I will go for:
November 29
8.3 lbs
Name: Sophia (pretty name, I think)
If I can guess the same date, I will go for:
Dec 1 (everything else the same, obviously)
So, Damien clued me in on this. Since our petition to name the baby Roberta Leigh Vanderpool was rejected by future Uncle Damien, I guess I have to resort to this to hopefully have a little Roberta Leigh V.
November 26
7.6 lbs.
19.1 inches
Damien warned me that this may inflict the wrath of the Alexanderpools. I am willing to take that risk. :)
i forgot the length...i'm going with 20.1 inches
november 27, 20.5 inches, 7 lb 8 oz.
i'm sure little nikoleta will be beautiful.
I'm going to go with you having the baby early! November 20th is my dads bday and I like that day.
Let's say:
November 20
7 lbs even
20 inches
Name: no idea!?!?!?
I wanna play too.
I say:
November 24
7.6 lbs
21 inches
You know the name, dude.
Nov 25
7.5 lbs
22 inches
I'm going to be in Paris Nov 24-30, so maybe I'll get to see her first! Well, second after Lee, Peg, and all the hospital staff.
Dec. 20, 265 lbs, 75 inches
Congrats Peg and Lee. I hope to speak soon!
Post a Comment