I'll take the subway
Man, I love sandwiches. I know that there's nothing profound about that, but I really do love a good sandwich. Club, toasted, open-faced: I like 'em all. We've been in France for three years now, and I have yet to get into the habit of eating a sit-down cooked meal at lunch. Most days I prefer to grab a sandwich at a local shop and eat at my desk or on a bench outside, weather permitting. It's not the most social thing I could do, but I don't work here to make friends (and for the record, I haven't).
You might think that the French make mean sandwiches, but then you'd be wrong and still smell vaguely like gym socks. It's one of the great mysteries of the world when you think about it: how can a nation that is so well-reputed for making bread, condiments, cheeses, fresh fruits and vegetables and meats be so terrible at making sandwiches? It's like they spent all their time and effort preparing the perfect ingredients, only to call it a day when it came down to slicing the damn things and slapping them all together. It's borderline criminal how they prepare their sandwiches. Ask for a ham sandwich and you're likely to get half a baguette with a couple of slices of ham inside. No lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo or mustard. Just ham and bread. They're so damn...literal.
Fortunately, a Subway sandwich shop opened up not too far from our apartment. Sure, their bread tastes like a used sponge, their ingredients are sub-par and the decor will give you an epileptic seizure, but at least at Subway I can get my sandwich with as many olives, onions, cucumber slices and slices of bacon as I want. Digesting it, of course, is another matter.

4 comments:
Not that it necessarily has all the tomatoes, lettuce, olives, etc. that you want, but do you ever get kebabs? Man, I miss kebabs. Especially when they put the fries on top of the sandwich. That stuff's GOOD.
Dude, are you talking about gyros? I think that you might be talking about gyros. I can't be certain, but that sounds a lot like gyros.
In any event, I haven't had a gyro in a while. The last time anyone we knew bought some near our place they got a mild case of food poisoning. We HAVE, however, been enjoying a lot of falafel. That stuff is pretty good, and sometimes you can put fries on top. Hmmm, fried potatoes on top of fried ground chickpeas....
All I know is that when I lived in Bordeaux, there were tons of North African restaurants (or dives or street vendors) selling what they called "kebabs" - yes, they looked a lot like gyros, but they varied. Sometimes they would come on a baguette. The Moroccan version came on a thick pita. The Tunisian version came in a thin, delicious wrap that was toasted. As I said before, they were good. And cheap. And I was making next to nothing working as a part-time teacher living in the Magrebin part of the city. I have fond memories.
They're called Doner Kebabs (not gyros). They are different. And I hope that your falafel is from Maoz, Lee...can't get much better than Maoz...mmmm
Post a Comment