Movie Review: City of Angels
You all were so nice to suggest Guilty Pleasure Movies for me to enjoy during my self-imposed home confinement for the good of society, so I thought I would repay the favor with reviewing some of these movies. I'm not going to review all of the movies because some are what we Alexanderpools call "Dick Flicks" and honestly, who needs my snarky comments? Except Lee of course, but he gets the pleasure of enjoying them in person. I like to think of it as a thank you for when he pauses the movie, turns to me and repeats every line. Twice.City of Angels
At heart, this movie is a classic tale of job dissatisfaction. We meet a guy who is unsatisfied with his job. Guy meets girl and guy convinces himself that grass is greener where girl is. So, guy says fuck it and takes the plunge, only to realize too late that hey, a job's a job and this one sucks too. The end.
6 comments:
goodbye Ebert and Roeper. Hello Panagiota Alexandropoulos!
That's quite astute, sister-o-mine.
By the way, if there's any chance that you like the basic premise of the movie but not so thrilled about how it's executed, the original, German film by Wim Wenders is supposed to be really good. It's called "Der Himmel Uber Berlin" ("The Sky Over Berlin," though the American title for the film is the ungodly "Wings of Desire").
As a bonus for the German version, it came out in 1987, so it can fit in with that ginormous 80s-film run that we had going.
I'll check out the German version if I can find it.
I did like City of Angels. I wasn't as emotionally affected as the first time I saw it. Which is weird because back then I didn't cry looking at nuts in the supermarket. It just struck me while watching it that some "people" are just never happy - shouldn't being an angel be like the jackpot or something?
Didn't you cringe, though, at Meg Ryan's line "We're made to fit together"?
Oh, I forgot to include this in the review. At the first scene in the library, when they are panning around to all the angels, you see Amy Brenneman as an angel for a two seconds.
Post a Comment