Thursday, May 08, 2008

Trophy Engineer

In case you didn't hear about it on the radio, see it on TV or read about it in the paper, the Next to Littlest Pool is the 2007-2008 UCLA Outstanding Master of Science Degree Recipient in Mechanical Engineering.  In addition to the $5 coupon valid at the Sonic location of his choice, the award comes with a framed certificate (frame not included) and a firm handshake from some dude at the graduation ceremonies.  

I think I speak for all of us when I say congrats to the Dame-ster; we had no idea that there was so little competition.  Count it off, Damien: One...


Two...


Three.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This news has gotten so big that I even got a message from Panda Express. The message in my fortune cookie today said "You will be honored with a prestigious prize or award"...granted, the message came a little late, but I appreciate the fact that they made it just for me.

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation, Damien, chances are the food you ate tonight WAS prepared before you got your award.

On a different note, I'm curious to see if Lee could possibly write a more condescending congratulatory note to someone. So, here's a challenge:

I just passed my last exam. Ever. Go me.

Response?

I'm expecting greatness. Don't disappoint me.

Lee said...

Oh, Derek. Silly, silly Derek. First, Damien knows that I think he rocks the house; otherwise I wouldn't have put up the post in the first place. Just look at the way I had him count off the post; he's a total bad-ass.

Second, I feel no need to improve upon my own work; it stands for itself. Challenging me to write something even more awesome would be like looking at the Sistine Chapel or the statue of David and telling Michaelangelo, "Hey, bud. Not bad. But don't you think you could do better?" You need to recognize greatness when you see it, Derek, and I'll give you a hint: it's not looking back at you in the mirror.

Besides, you may THINK that you just passed your last exam, but I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but there are a lot more tests in your future, and they're the ones that will count a heck of a lot more than your thesis defense. There will be cholesterol tests, pregnancy tests and, without question, drug tests. Some of these you will pass; some of these you will fail. I'm guessing the drug tests, but that pretty much goes without saying.

Anonymous said...

First of all: I am a bad-ass
Second: I loved Lee's comments because they really aren't far from the truth (I think it's like $200, a handshake, and a certificate)
Third: The only thing Derek is high on is Modern European History...and let me be the first to tell you, IT'S ADDICTING! Man, that shit is crazy! He may fail a pregnancy test though (have you guys seen Junior? that would be SWEET!)

Unknown said...

Congrats Dame-ster!! Enjoy your two weeks off.

Unknown said...

And... Hey engineering guy. You don't, by any chance, have a penchant for C# and a desire to work under constant overt sexual harassment? Lee has described my above-market compensation plan.

Unknown said...

And... Hey engineering guy. You don't, by any chance, have a penchant for C# and a desire to work under constant overt sexual harassment? Lee has described my above-market compensation plan.

Anonymous said...

Damien, you rule!