Mouth of Pegs (Double Entendre Edition)
Pegs, Yia Yia and I were in the kitchen this evening when Pegs pulled an overripe apple off the shelf.
Pegs (to Yia Yia): Eine sapio.*
*Editor's Translation: "This is rotten."
Me (having grossly misheard what she said): Kanasakia? What does "kanasakia" mean?
Pegs (without missing a beat): It's the lesser-known Japanese scooter.
Walking home from my office together the other day:
Me: On my way down the stairs, I passed by a partner talking to someone I was convinced was Angela Merkel.
Pegs: Was it her?
Me: No; I thought it was, but then I realized that there was no security detail.
Pegs: Yeah, that's a dead giveaway.
Me: Yep. You know, that's a pretty good litmus test for knowing when someone is important. I mean, anyone could have somebody who wants them dead, for any number of reasons. But only someone important has people willing to die for them.
Pegs: You know, Jaime is in the Secret Service. I'm sure he gets paid pretty well for putting his life on the line all the time.
Me: I thought you said that he spends most of his time investigating bad checks?
Pegs: While he's stationed here in France, yes. But in the US he's protecting the president and stuff. It's a dangerous job.
Me: Yeah, although being a cop or a firefighter is dangerous, and they don't get paid a lot of money.
Pegs: Being in the Secret Service is much more dangerous. People are intentionally trying to kill the person you're protecting, and you're expected to take a bullet for them.
Me: That's true, but it's not like it happens every day. Police and firefighters face death every time they go on duty.
Pegs: Yeah, but that's what makes being in the Secret Service so dangerous; there's no telling when somone is going to try to attack. It's kinda like a needle in a haystack: some of the hay is gonna get hurt before you find the needle.


1 comment:
Funny. What does it say about me that I completely get what she's saying?
Post a Comment