Thursday, October 05, 2006

Daddy didn't love me

Feeling pretty good about yourself? Feeling like you're a pretty generous and caring individual? Well, check your ego at the door, 'cause you ain't seen nothing. Superdad Dick Hoyt (65 according to his family website) and his son Rick (43) have participated in 85 marathons, 212 triathalons and countless other competitions together since Rick was 15. The catch? Rick is severely disabled and confined to a wheelchair. That's right; Dick pushes, pulls and carries his 110-pound son through every event, all to see the smile on Rick's face. In 1992 they bested more than 15,000 other competitors in the Boston Marathon (out of a field of 20,000) with a time of 2 hours and 40 minutes; that's just 35 minutes shy of the world record.
Makes you think about all those times that your parents couldn't make it to your baseball game, science fair or school play, huh? I mean, how could you not be there, Dad? I worked on that tap routine for weeks, and my alto rendition of "I'm a Little Teapot" knocked 'em dead! Man, I miss college....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's kinda like when I have to walk to campus with my 5.3lbs laptop. It's SOO annoying...But I carry on. Like a champion.