Got in early
I had to get in early this morning for an 8:00 a.m. meeting, so I set my alarm for 6:00 to make sure that I had plenty of time to go over the agenda beforehand and get everything ready. The only problem was that one of the breakers in our apartment fell yesterday afternoon, so I had to reset the clock before going to bed. Well, I made a teensy little mistake in setting the correct hour: I forgot that France uses military time (e.g., 7 p.m. is 19H00), so instead of setting the clock at 11:23 p.m., I actually set it for 11:23 a.m. Rookie mistake. Thankfully, my biological clock woke me up early (actually, I needed to pee, but that's biological, right?), so I got up, showered quickly and made it out the door with time to spare. The walk to the taxi stand was calm and pleasant, if not a bit dark. There was very little foot traffic, but Paris doesn't really start hopping until around 8:00 or so on Friday mornings, so I just enjoyed having the neighborhood more or less to myself. "I should get up this early every day," I thought. "I'd be so much more productive and have more time to get things done!"
The only thing that distracted me was the large number of drunks roaming around, which I thought was weird because all of the bars close around 4:30 and the alkies usually meander home right after. I was waiting for a cab and hoping that I wouldn't be late to the meeting when I checked my trusty wristwatch (thanks again, E&K) ... and realized that it was actually 5:00 in the morning. Yep, not only had I screwed up between a.m. and p.m., but I had somehow misread the clock this morning and thought that 4:20 was 6:20. Yeah, I'm that dumb. To make the best of a bad situation, I thought it would make sense to just go to the office anyway, so I've been here since 5:15. I've only been here for two hours thus far, but I can already tell that it's going to be a looooooong day.

3 comments:
Your story just reminded me of a bizarre conversation I had with Ariel this past winter. I had been working non-stop for over a week grading papers, writing my own papers, and reading books for more papers. In all, I'd say I got about 8 hours of sleep over about 6 days. Finally, Friday rolled around and all my projects were finished. I got home around 5:00 p.m. and decided to take a nap until Ariel got in from work. When I woke up, the clock said 7:00, and I could hear Ariel in the kitchen.
"When did you get in?" I asked.
"Yesterday."
Pause.
"Well, I know you got in YESTERDAY," I said, a bit confused and annoyed. "What time did you get in TODAY?"
Pause.
"You do realize it's 7:00 in the morning," she asked.
Only then did I realize that I had been asleep for the past 14 hours.
And then Ariel laughed at me.
Poor beba. You need a break. Thanksgiving can't come fast enough. Hey Vanderpools, whoever is doing the grocery shopping should put Maker's Mark and diet ginger ale on the shopping list. That should take care of breakfast. And find out where the nearest Taco Bell is for lunch. Oh, and remember to pick up two scented candles, one for the bathroom and one for our bedroom. Taco Bell might smell good going in, but not so much coming out.
It is kind of nice to be on the streets before the masses, isn't it. Everything is calm and quiet. There is no hussle and bussle except for the garbage trucks, street cleaners and delivery trucks that make so much noise that you wonder how you ever sleep through the din.
Good luck staying awake!
Post a Comment