Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More interesting post

I went for a walk today, just to get out of the house and to do some grocery shopping, and the most interesting thing happened. Now, I know what you're thinking, here we go again, another story about a HUG (I'm tired of linking it, if you don't know what HUG means, I can't help you). But you're wrong. And I would appreciate it if you would leave the attitude at the door mister.
Like I was saying, the most interesting thing happened on my walk today. I decided to walk to the Gare du Nord area to go to the Indian market to pick up some cheap spices. Lee-Lee loves his Indian food. It makes him a little gas-y, but it balances out the constipation-inducing French cheeses he loves so much.
Anyway, as many of you might know, the Pigalle area of Paris contains a red light district. But did you also know that Paris has a second red light district? Well, I didn't either, and, to my great surprise, I ran into it today in the 1st and 2nd arrondissements. I was walking along the pedestrian rue St. Denis with my headphones on, looking straight ahead, minding my own business, totally spaced out in my own thoughts, when some douche steps out of a store right in front of me. After I step on the backs of his heels to get back at him (yes, yes, I know, but I was in a weird mood), I start to look around at my surroundings. And what do I see? Peep shows and strip clubs and sex shops, oh my. I'm ashamed to say that I thought it was awesome in it's unexpectedness. They were selling DVDs! TOYS! NOVELTIES! GAMES! HARNESSES! Everything was in English! With an exclamation point! There was even a place offering "massages". And of course, to play along to the stereotype, there was an Asian woman at the counter. There were even hookers. Four of them hanging out on the block between rue...wait a minute...what am I doing...I'm not going to tell you where they are! If you really want a French hooker, you can go to the hooker mini-vans along the bois de boulogne or the bois de vincennes, like the Frenchies do.
For those of you who know me, you know how hard it was for me to resist going in some of these places just to check them out. But to be honest, it was a little frightening, mainly because for the first time I noticed that besides the middle aged hookers, I was the only woman on the street. Needless to say, I kept walking while trying not to make eye contact with anybody. I just wish I had had the foresight to bring my camera with me. Always bring the camera Peggy-ota. Always bring the camera. Rookie mistake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does this second red light district fit into Lee's rant about the Americanization of Paris? Now, not only do Americans get their own food, books, and movies in France, but they get their own belles-de-nuits (to use that wonderful French euphamism)? C'mon ex-pats! Show a little effort!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it fit into Lee's rant about the Americanization of Paris. I was just describing what I saw. I'm guessing the signs were all in English b/c it's cheaper to buy them in English? I did notice that most of the men that were standing outside these places that looked like they might be the owners were of Indian or Pakistani or Middle Eastern origin. I didn't want to look too closely, but they definitely weren't white. Maybe that has something to do with it? I didn't want to mention it in the post b/c it seemed judgmental or racist or something.

Anonymous said...

I know, Pegs. I was just trying to be funny. And failed. Sorry.

Panagiota said...

Sorry little dude. I get it now. It's funny. Really. I mean it.

Lee said...

Silly Derek. Porn is the universal language.