Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Does anybody else get migraines?

I don't get them every day, probably 3 or 4 a month. The problem is that when I get one, it likes to stick around. The average is about 2 days, but they have been known to leave after 1 and to stay for 4. Unfortunately, I haven't found any medications that work very well. Except of course the morphine derivative that they gave me here in France that I became addicted to. I never thought I would become a junkie at the age of 29. But that's a whole other post.

If you don't suffer from migraines and don't know anybody who does, there is no way you can understand what it feels like. I don't think my old boss ever believed me when I would get a bad migraine and have to leave work to go home and lie down. Mine get so bad that Lee has to remove anything that can be used as a deadly weapon from the apartment. He has frequently walked into a room to find me pounding on my head with anything heavy I could get my hands on, just to deflect the pain and get temporary relief. Sometimes I think that if I had a gun next to me during a migraine, I would be capable of blowing my brains out. Scary, huh?

I have certain triggers that can set off a migraine, and most of the time I can pinpoint what brought it on. Things like red wine, stress, rhythmic, pounding noise (I hate techno), lack of sleep, high altitudes and changes in air pressure (planes) and fluctuating hormone levels. I've never experienced an aura before getting a migraine, but if you do, or know someone who does, you may want to look into this clinical trial. It sounds very promising.
I feel so bad for Lee. Sometimes I think I sound like a real monster. Next post will be about how great I am.

No comments: