Monday, December 04, 2006

Jet Lag

I'm not a doctor (as the American Medical Association so kindly reminds me every time I'm in the middle of removing someone's gall bladder), but I'm pretty sure that a bad case of jet lag can be fatal if it goes on longer than a week after your flight.
Here's the deal: when you have jet lag coming from the US, it can be really difficult to go to sleep at a decent hour and almost impossible to wake up. Lately I've been heading to bed around 12:00-1:00 after I come home from work, but I can't seem to zonk out until around 3:00. Then in the morning I'm completely exhausted and have to literally fall out of bed to make it to the shower. During the day I'm fine, but I seem to be on US Central Time when I need to go to sleep or wake up.
Of course, it probably doesn't help any that I've started watching episodes of Lost to try to pass the wee hours of the morning when I should be grabbing some shut-eye. Yes, that's right, people: I'm only now getting around to watching Lost. In my defense, I've been out of the country for two years, so I haven't exactly been able to keep up with all the goings-on of Dr. Jack and his merry band of misfit islanders. However, you may be interested to know that when I watched the pilot episode last Sunday, I officially reduced the number of non-comatose humans on this planet who have never seen an episode to just two people. Word is that ABC will be targeting the valued N'duchuk Milinge and Xingte Pingtao demographic pretty hard this season, though, so that number is sure to go down again soon.
Back to my jet lag, though. I don't know what Panagiota did to Dariel to make them hate us so much, but they saw fit to exact the cruelest revenge possible by giving us the (Pandora's) box set of Lost: Season 1, which contains an absurd 24 one-hour long episodes (each with a ridiculously tantalizing cliffhanger that just begs you to watch the next show). Do you know how much time it takes to watch 24 one-hour long episodes? I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count. Then, just to make sure that they render me officially insane from lack of sleep, Dariel tossed in Lost: Season 2 as an early Christmas present.
Dude, that's just mean.

3 comments:

Panagiota said...

I knew that i shouldn't let you take the Lost DVDs back with you, but i thought working until the wee hours of the morning, and the fact that you are no longer 13, would provide you with enough common sense for you to TURN OFF THE DVD PLAYER AND STEP AWAY FROM THE TELEVISION. I guess at this point I should know better.

That's it, I'm gonna call Sido and ask her to hide the DVDs when she comes over.

Anonymous said...

Crap. The Lost DVDs were meant as extra incentive to leave the office and go back home, since apparently your wife has not been incentive enough. But now you've started without her. I guess Ariel and my plan backfired. Sorry Pegs, we tried.

On the other hand, Lee, I'm glad you're enjoying our present, even if in the long run it's costing you your health.

Anonymous said...

I sorry!