Friday, January 19, 2007

HELP Please

Here's the situation. About a week and a half ago, I discovered the wonderful world of torrents. Since then, I've downloaded tons of TV shows and movies. I have been a DVD burning machine. At the same time that I started doing all of this, I got a bunch of messages from McAfee warning me that a program was trying to make changes to the registry and asking me to accept the changes or to block them. I always block the changes, but once, in my haste, I accidentally allowed the change. And ever since we've been getting tons of popups. Not only are these popups annoying, but they slow the computer down tremendously. In order to fix the problem, I downloaded Lavasoft Ad-Watch. The software says that it is blocking popups and registry changes, but we still get tons of popup and every time I run a system scan, it finds several registry changes. I also uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee and ran a thorough scan, did a Windows system restore to several weeks ago, defragmented the registry and did a Windows disk scan. But nothing seems to be working. Does anybody have any suggestions? I am seriously beyond frustrated and ready to smash the computer to pieces. I am very computer illiterate, so any advice whatsoever would be great.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, the computer is done... Just wipe the hard drive and start all over. Sorry, but this will take you 3 hours, and everything else will take you 30 hours.

Anonymous said...

just smash it

Anonymous said...

If you want to still try to salvage your computer via virus scanners and such, you can go to this website:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It offers a free scan using the most up to date program available from Trend Micro (it's what Stanford recommends to students when they're computer goes on the fritz).

If that doesn't work, then at least you've put everything you want to keep computer-wise on to your external hard drive (right?), so wiping it out and starting over shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Panagiota said...

I'm taking Eric's advice. The computer has gotten so bad it's impossible to do anything on it at this point. Sucks. I'm even writing this comment with Lee's blackberry.

Anonymous said...

That sucks...I'm sorry. But what is this wonderful world of torrents that allows you to download movies and music? Can I be apart of this wonderful world?

Panagiota said...

It's pretty cool. I can't type it all out because I'm on Lee's blackberry, but you read all about it on the net. The sites I use are btjunkie.org and spytorrent.com (I think) and then you need a client like utorrent (although it isn't really a u, it's a greek m but I can't type that now). Go to any of those and it should have a FAQ or a help section that will explain it. I haven't noticed music files on of the sites, but they might have some. They have concerts though. TV shows, movies, software. All kinds of stuff.