Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Those touch lamps are so touchy

On Monday night when I was getting ready for bed, I asked Nik and Young for a lamp to put right by the bed so that I wouldn't have to get out of bed to open and close the light. The lamp they gave me happened to be one of those touch lamps. You can touch it pretty much anywhere, including the shade, to turn it on and off. Because I'm sleeping in the nursery on an air mattress, I put the lamp on the floor right above my head, between the mattress and the wall.

Around 2 in the morning, a light shining in my face wakes me up. I was so pissed, I almost started yelling, "who the hell turned the light on" before I realized that I had touched the lamp tossing and turning in my sleep and turned it on. I turn it off and go back to sleep. About an hour later, I wake up again with the light shining in my face. I turn it off. About an hour later, I wake up again with...whatever, you get the picture right? I woke myself up no less than 4 times that night because I kept touching the lamp when I turned in my sleep.

Yes, you are all allowed to call me an idiot. Except Derek. Derek can call me ma'am.

5 comments:

Lee said...

I just wanted everyone to notice Pegs' use of the phrase "open and close the light". I forget if this is a Canadian thing, a Greek thing, or a Pegs thing, but the sad thing is that now she's got me saying it, too. Curses!

Rachel said...

I was wondering if that was a French thing -- from all the time in Paris. I've never heard that before. Hmmm...

Unknown said...

nice prank Nik.

Panagiota said...

It's a Greek thing. Literally translated from how you would say it in Greek. My parents used to say it to us when we were kids. Also, make quiet. My mom would yell that at us all the time.

Anonymous said...

No ma'am, I would never dream of calling you an idiot.

By the by, ma'am, I'd like to point out that it's a French thing too. I remember Mom would say it every once in a while when we were younger.