Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bacon Chocolate Review

Prompted by our earlier post about bacon chocolate, Dariel were inspired to go out and try some. In case you missed it in their comment to said post, we figured we would put their review here:

Ariel and I have now shared a bar of bacon-chocolate, and we will now report our findings to you.

First, the chocolate itself, irrespective of the bacon contained therein, is absolutely scrumptious: rich, melting-in-your-mouth sort of milk-chocolate ("NOT the wimpy milk-chocolate," Ariel points out, "It's still real chocolate.").

Now onto the bacon: the fried pork lodged in the chocolate adds a light saltiness that in fact heightens the flavor of the chocolate, particularly because the saltiness is not spread throughout but rather contained specifically within the particular bacon bits, thus leading to interspersed explosions of salty-sweet goodness. Moreover, the crispiness of the bacon gives the bar a texture not unlike that of rice crisps in a Nestle Crunch bar. The one slightly disconcerting aspect of the bacon-chocolate experience is the smokey flavor that one finds upon taking a bite of this delectable confection. After the initial surprise, however, it becomes quite an enjoyable enterprise.

On the whole, then, Dariel recommend it.

P.S. And before we get deriding reactions from Lee and/or Pegs, let me remind you that you are (or are married to) the guy who likes sugar covered waffles with chili AND sugar covered Corn Flakes with nacho cheese Doritos. You don't get to judge us.

In my defense, Corn Flakes and Doritos taste GOOD.

4 comments:

Panagiota said...

I wish I could forget, Derek. I wish I could forget.

Anonymous said...

Did you guys dip bacon into melted chocolate and take a picture, or did you find that photo online?

Lee said...

Found the picture. Sorry, Ariel.

Anonymous said...

After my 4 years of undergraduate engineering courses, and going on 2 years of Masters work, I have mathematically proven that:
"Corn Flakes" + "Nacho Cheese Doritos" = GOOD
And although I haven't done the analysis yet (did someone say PhD?), I'm fairly confident that I can also prove that:
"Milk Chocolate" + "Bacon" = Delicious
I will send you my results in the near future. Or you can find them published in the quarterly issue "Journal of Good Eats".