Patent Pending
Pegs and I called Bon Papa to wish him happy birthday today. After we finished speaking with him, he passed the phone to Mama Pool, who is currently visiting him in Lille. Here's a taste of how the conversation went:
Mom: So, have you settled on a name yet for the little one?
Me: Yeah, we're pretty much settled on Sofia. The only question we had was whether to spell it with "f" or with "ph".
Mom: Sof-I-a? That's pretty.
Me: What? No, not Sof-I-a. Sof-ee-a. Who would name their kid Sof-I-a?
Mom: Well, I knew a Sof-I-a in Monroe.
Me: Are you sure that she didn't just mispronounce it? Maybe you heard her wrong.
Mom: No, that's what she said. (pause) Maybe when she got older she decided to change how she pronounced it.
Me: Yeah, that makes sense.
Mom (without missing a beat): So, then are you going to spell her name with "f" or "ph"?
Me: Well, I've basically conceded the "f" at this point, but I've done so in exchange for middle naming rights.
Mom: What?
Me: You know, I get to choose her middle name. Right now I'm leaning towards "Lauren".
Mom: Oh, that's nice.
Me: Really? You think so?
Mom: Uh-huh. I like the name "Lauren".
Me: You like the name "Sofia Loren Vanderpool"? Don't you think that's a bit too much pressure?
Mom: Oh. Ha-ha. Very cute. Well, you could always use "Bernadette" [ed: Mama Pool's name].
Me: Um, yeah, thanks. We'll keep that in mind.
Mom: I mean, there's no pressure. I've never pushed for that.
Me: And we appreciate that.
Mom: I would never wish that name on anyone. Nanya [ed: my grandmother] is the same way. She's never pushed for anyone to name their child "Mildred".
Me: That's very kind of her.
Pegs: We're actually thinking about blending the two: "Bernadred".
Me (laughing): That's too funny.
Mom: That sounds like some kind of medicine. Like Benadryl.
Me: Yeah, I can imagine the ads now: "Try new Bernadred for all your aches and pains. Now in new chalk flavor."

16 comments:
So does this mean that I won the date/weight/height game since it was I who chose Sophia (with a ph, mind you). Thanks for believing that my suggestion was the best...I knew it was. If only you guys could give me a little credit on your blog...sheesh. also, thanks for letting me know about this before the blog entry, guys. I heard from derek, who heard from vanessa, who heard from mom...glad i'm the last to know when i'm the one who named her...shit
Well ACTUALLY Damien, I chose the name Sofia about a year ago, so technically you didn't name anybody. We've been tossing the name around from when we found out I was knocked up, so the most you've done is heard the name mentioned and managed to retain it in that teeny, tiny little space of your brain not filled with thoughts of Sam, the Saints and engineering type knowledge.
And two, I haven't given birth yet, so there is no way you could have won the date, height, weight game. Let's not get ahead of ourselves little guy.
But because you're so cute, we won't deduct any points from your final score for your (hopefully) momentary lapse in game playing etiquette. You do, however, owe me one for being so nice. You can pay me in chocolate.
Sofia or Sophia? Now you guys are confusing me. As for the game, considering how you guys already named the child and therefore broke the rules of the game, isn't it understandable that I thought perhaps you guys just liked my name so much that you already declared me the winner?
As for me consciously or subconsciously stealing the name Sophia from you guys about a year ago, that could never happen considering how you guys never tell me anything. Isn't it possible, nay probable, that perhaps two great minds (you and I) could think of the same name for a girl individually? No...I suppose you're right. I'm just a feeble minded engineer who only thinks of football and girls...what was I thinking when I thought I made it up as well.
At either rate, congratulations on the name. I firmly approve of the choice, regardless of winning the game or not. Good luck with the home stretch of the pregancy as well, you guys. My only wish is that everything goes smoothly and perfectly, b/c you guys deserve it. Biggest of hugs and kisses. Love ya guys!
I want to know what happened to "Ping!" Haha.
Oh...and Damien...I heard about the Sophia thing a few days ago from Vanessa, as well. Haha. Serves you right for not inviting me to your house-warming since we're "neighbors." (Note to others: Damien thought he and I lived near each other, but we're about 1.5 hours away.)
sister, tell the truth. i told you i wanted to name eva "sofia" when i got knocked up (5 mo before you did) but young wouldn't go for it. so, i get credit for the name
Don't feel bad Rachel, Damien didn't invite me to his housewarming either.
Nik, actually Lee and I were talking about the name Sofia way, way before you got pregnant with Eva, but let's not get into that here. And anyway, Lee already blames you for stealing the name Alexandra, don't get him started on a tirade about the name Sofia.
Oh and Damien, Lee said "why is he confused? Tell him he needs to actually read the post." That, however, was before we knew about the party we didn't get invited to.
I realize that it's a point of contention between the two of you and so I won't press for an answer here, but I'd just like to point out that it's rather confusing as to whether the Hybrid will be named Sofia or Sophia. I mean, Lee concedes the "f," but Pegs writes with the "f." What's up with that? Again, no answer needed - just had to point that out.
Also, I think Sophia Lauren would be an awesome name.
P.S. In all honestly, Sophia/Sofia is a beautiful name. Excellent choice!
To clarify: "I conceded the 'f'" means that I gave up and let Pegs get her way. So from now on, when spelling The Hybrid's name please remember to use the "f" and not the "ph".
Oh, and Damien, you need to read the fine print on the name-game post, dude. Did you really think that we would let an engineer pick our child's name? Puh-lease.
It may just be pregnancy brain, but I am thoroughly confused. I've always written it as Sofia and Lee conceded the point, so I don't understand what everybody is not understanding.
Beautiful name! And Lee - your mom didn't misunderstand ... there IS a woman in Monroe named Sof-I-a Blank ... she is a realtor (I think). I love that all these years later - I remember that!
Here's why there's confusion. According to the Oxford English Dictionary:
"Concede (v): To admit, allow, grant (a proposition), to acknowledge the truth, justice, or propriety of (a statement, claim, etc.); sometimes in weaker sense, To allow formally for the sake of argument."
This is how you meant us to understand your sentence - as in, "I acknowledge the propriety of Sofia-with-an-f."
However,
"Concede (v): To grant, yield, or surrender (anything asked or claimed, e.g. a right, a privilege."
This is how Damien, Ariel, and I (and maybe others, too) understood it - as in, "I give up the claim to Sofia-with-an-f."
Moreover,
"Concede (v): To admit defeat in (an election); to acknowledge that an election, town, etc., has been lost to another political party or candidate. orig. U.S"
Granted, this last definition is strictly political, but it's not a leap to transfer it to a simple argument/debate, as in "I admit defeat to Pegs in the Sofia/Sophia runoff," in which case it's still uncertain who picked which spelling.
Finally, we thought it would make sense that Pegs would want the Sophia-with-a-ph, since when I asked you who wanted which spelling a few days ago, you derisively (and ambiguously) replied, "Who do you think?" Seeing as how the "ph" has a certain Greek pedigree (Sophism, sophomore, sophisticated, etc.), I thought Pegs would have opted for that one.
In short, Pegs, you can blame this on your husband.
rachel, you're right, i did not know we lived 1.5 hours away until right when i read your post, actually. my bad. but yes, you should come over some time if you're ever in the area or dont mind driving 1.5 hours. it'd be ever so loverly. after all, you hung out with two of the vandersibs, I just thought i'd keep the trend going.
As for the Sofia vs Sophia thing...yeah, I completed misunderstood it, but I'm going to go with the fact that you made it hard to understand. Derek and I both thought you were goign for Sophia, not Sofia.
how did i steal the name alexandra? when i told you we were going with either alexandra or catherine you said that if i didnt choose alexandra you would name your kid alexandra. this is the first i'm hearing about this alleged name stealing. i want lee to say it to my face!! come on brother in law, i dare ya.
Nik, you stole the name, just like Alexandra stole our hearts. By all rights you should give us back the name and the child with it. It's only fair. Just ship us all of her clothes, toys and furniture via air mail and send me a round trip first class ticket to Philly so I can come pick her up. You've got your hands full with Eva, anyway, and it's not like you haven't already gotten a lot of mileage out of Alex. It's our turn, now. C'mon, Nik, share the wealth already.
30 minutes on a Sunday afternoon....2 hours on a weekday -- what's the difference in LA? Gotta love "the 405." Any Damien -- you're not off the hook that easily. About that housewarming party....
Post a Comment