Monday, October 01, 2007

Speedy delivery

Pegs and I went for the second big ultrasound today, followed by a visit with the OB/GYN. I had to leave for work before we got to see the doctor, but all looked well on the sonogram and we were told that The Hybrid was developing fine and of a normal size. When Pegs finally got in to see her, however, the OB/GYN said that she was moving up our due date from 5 December to 27 November. This is due partly to The Hybrid's size (in the 92d percentile), partly to her positioning (head up, butt down and very high in the abdomen) and partly because Pegs is a skinny-minnie whose hips haven't spread (refrain from any crass jokes here, fellas). We're hoping that The Hybrid goes tails up and head down in the next couple of weeks and assumes the proper position; if not our doctor may push us to have a Caesarian shortly after our due date. As much as we'd like to meet The Hybrid sooner rather than later, and as much as I would like to avoid the risk of cone-heading, we'd still like to have a natural childbirth if we can. Keep your fingers crossed!

9 comments:

Panagiota said...

The baby is not head up and feet down. Baby is lying horizontally, head to the right, butt to the left, and entirely above my navel. Makes eating fun!

Unknown said...

that's progress, right? do you have a better chance of regular delivery if she's horitzontal at this point rather than vertical the wrong way? Anyhow, I can't wait to meet the baby!

Anonymous said...

Our fingers are crossed. Looking forward to seeing you guys and the Hybrid soon!

Panagiota said...

Thanks. Babies can still turn pretty late in the game - my doctor told me about a woman whose baby went head up during her 40.5 week and had have a C-section. The problem is that because she's so big already (she's estimated to be 8.5 to 9 lbs at birth!) and my pelvis hasn't opened up yet, the fear is that she is running out of room to turn. I'm not worried, I'm sure everything will work out. Lee's a bit of an alarmist I think. I would rather not have to try to recover from a C-section, but as long as our giant baby girl is healthy, it doesn't matter. Although, I was misled that she would have a little head, but - bygones!

Rachel said...

Have you two started thinking about a name for The Hybrid?

Panagiota said...

The First Alexanderpool Hybrid Naming Assembly broke down yesterday morning due to discord amongst the members of the Permanent Committee. However, it is expected that negotiations will re-commence shortly once the No-Name Calling and No-Hitting rules are ratified by all members.

Anonymous said...

then that poor baby will never be named.

Rachel said...

Hey Pegs -- I was thinking about you tonight as I came home and satisfied my crazy craving for macaroni and cheese and vampire movies. And I'm not even pregnant! What sorts of cravings have you had with the pregnancy? I can't imagine it would be peanut butter and pickles in France, but maybe Nutella? I just thought it would be entertaining to know...

Panagiota said...

I actually haven't had any intense cravings. In fact, I've had very bad aversions to lots of things for most of my pregnancy. But I do tend to want things that we can't find here. It's funny that you mention macaroni and cheese because my wanting Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is a running joke because they don't sell it here. I also crave fruit. I just want to gorge myself on fruit all day, but I can't eat it because it makes me incredibly bloated. This summer I could have eaten an entire watermelon by myself every day. Pretty boring huh?