Cats and dogs
For the most part, Pegs and I get along pretty well. We agree on most major issues (e.g., gun control, health care, random disciplinary child beatings), and for those on which we disagree we're usually able to reach a compromise. This is a good thing, since my understanding is that we're going to have to live together for quite some time, but it's a bit of a miracle when you consider that Pegs is an avowed dog lover/cat hater (although she made an exception for Duchess). Even though I've always loved the dogs our family has had and have even gone so far as to acknowledge Nanya's dog Fritz as my late-in-life uncle, I think of myself as more of a cat person than a rabid dog enthusiast (especially if the dog is actually rabid). Pegs and I had a discussion about this topic this morning, which prompted me to put up the very scientific summary below of the differences between dogs and cats. Feel free to challenge any of the conclusions listed below; if you don't agree with me, you're probably already used to being completely wrong most of the time, anyway.
19 comments:
Yeah lee, YOU try giving a cat a bath and see if it doesnt struggle the entire time...I would have to say THAT is inaccurate.
Who gives a cat a bath? They clean themselves, dude; that's the whole point. I'm notifying PETA that you're running around dunking cats in bathtubs. Monster.
Damien -- EXACTLY my first thought when I read this. Lee -- either you end up scratched-up-to-hell or you have one smelly-ass feline. Both sound icky to me.
We are all talking about the same animal, right? You know, cats: fluffy, feline, favorite subject of inspriational posters and T.S. Eliot poems? Cats don't stink because (a) they bathe themselves regularly and (b) they don't roll around in their own feces like some animals I could name (cough...dogs...cough). Rachel, I'll give you a free pass on this one, since for all I know you've never had a cat before and might simply be woefully misinformed as to how they behave, but Damien should know better. I have no idea what kind of meds you're on, big guy, but you need to get off of them right away. That or increase the dosage exponentially.
If I want to own something that won't come when I call it, I will get a houseplant.
Wait, I thought that's why you got married....
Lee -- if you want to go around saying you won an argument -- fine. Figure out a way to twist what I'm going to say somehow. But...I'll have you know that I've owned both cats and dogs and I still stand by what I said. Are you going to tell me your family never washed Dutchess? Hmmm...might explain some things. For the record, the very first cat I had an allergic reaction to - was Dutchess. There you have it. I'm a cat-hater now because Dutchess ruined me for all other cats. I guess it is for the best because I would be one of legions of people trying to give them all baths.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't want to get into a debate about bathing cats, but can we please not speak ill of Duchess? We're talking about a pet that was a part of the Vanderpool house for the majority of our lives. I don't think I'm alone in saying I'm a bit attached to her. Rachel, I'm sorry if she caused your allergies to go haywire, but you have to admit that it's not very nice to speak rudely of someone's adored childhood pet. How about we just drop this argument?
Lee, remember she is killing for two these days.
lee, you definitely loved duchess but you weren't the nicest to my cat ripley when we were both at tulane. you used to tie tube socks around his waist and put scotch tape on his paws just to see him get pissed off and run around the house trying to get them off. not very nice at all.....
and having personally owned and loved both cats and dogs, there is something to be said about the bond between a dog and its owner that doesn't exist with cats. that's not to say that i think dogs are better than cats....it just depends on what kind of relationship you want to have with a pet.
I hate to say it, Lee - especially since I'm more on the cat side than the dog side - but you're wrong about the movies. Dogs: most definitely "Lassie." And cats, sadly, I'd probably have to go with the recent, god-awful "Garfield" movies. Both are annoying, but at least Lassie didn't talk.
Hey -- just for the record -- I really loved Dutchess. She was a pretty cool cat. (Pun intended.) You see -- she was the very last cat I will ever love since she ruined me for all others. Derek -- you are adorable when you get all worked up. Silly Derek.
You are all weird and I am slightly embarrassed for you.
is he admitting to having watched the garfield movie? now i'm embarrased for him too!
You're welcome to feel embarrassed for me for any number of reasons, but I am not admitting to watching the Garfield movie. I'm just saying that Garfield is a better-known cat than Mr. Bigglesworth.
I had to wash a cat before, Lee (and yes, i know what a cat is). It was the summer after freshman year in college and my roommate and I had a couple of cats. These cats would go outside, get dirty, and yes, even shit on themselves (long haired kittens actually do this from time to time, although I'm sure you will deny this by saying the cat was "not right" in the head or some crap excuse). So yes, I had to wash the cats every once in a while either because of dirt/mud or shit all over its leg. So please, dont talk like you know everything, b/c I'm sure Pegs and the rest of the Vanderpool family can say with confidence: you dont. Shut it...I win
And to be fair to Duchess, she was an indoor cat. Indoor cats dont get excessively dirty, so there's little need to clean them very much (if at all). Outdoor cats (like the ones I took care of) DO need to be cleaned on a periodic basis. But since Lee has never had an outdoor cat, and already believes he knows everything about every cat in the world because of the one he owned, he wouldnt know that.
P.S.-I know Duchess went outside a lot when she was younger, but for the better part of her life she never did.
Did I say slightly? I meant very.
Now I'm embarrassed for everyone, too. Let this die.
Post a Comment