Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Baby steps

Sometimes I think about how fast Sofia is growing up, and it scares me. Not too long ago she had just one little snaggletooth; now she has three and the fourth one is about to come out. The haphazard location of her teeth reminds me vaguely of Sloth from "The Goonies", although in her defense Sofia has a little more hair and a lot less testosterone. There was a time when Sofia couldn't roll over; now I need to staple her to the bed just to change her diapers. Talking to her used to be a one-way street, albeit an entertaining one; now she'll raise her arms when I do, give me a hug when I ask for some sugar and wave goodbye when I leave for work in the morning. It seems like only yesterday that she was completely immobile or relegated to pulling herself along the floor with her arms, but as recently as yesterday she had her first hesitant crawl (see the video below).

While I can't wait to see what other changes are around the corner, I kinda wish that there were some way to slow down her development short of slipping lead paint chips into her cereal. It may be selfish or unrealistic of me, but I don't feel like I'm ready to give up her "babiness"; it seems like it all went by too quickly. Also, I really don't want her to break all my shit just yet.

No comments: