Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mouth of Pegs (Lillois Edition)

We went up to Lille this weekend to see the French fam, and while we were there the Mouth of Pegs was on fire.

Empathy: Patricia was overwrought at having lost her car keys, so when she went to the store with Bon Papa's car the rest of us searched the house. While we were looking in the kitchen, Pegs quite seriously theorized: "The problem is that I don't know Pat well enough to get inside her mind." To emphasize the point, she put her middle and index finger to her temple and twisted them clockwise, which everyone knows is the international gesture for getting inside another person's head. On no less than three occasions, Pegs shouted loudly that she had found the missing keys, only to give us a big grin when we were naive enough to ask, "Really?" The second Patricia came back home, Pegs enthusiastically told her that she had found the missing keys, prompting an enormous smile from Patricia, and then followed it up two second later with, "No, not really."

Reflections: While Sofia was staring into a mirror, Pegs mused, "Do you think that she ever looks at her own reflection and thinks, 'It's so weird; every once in a while I see this cool baby, and she's really into me.'"

Bacon: Pegs and I woke up before anyone else on Sunday morning and went downstairs to have breakfast. Pegs asked if I wanted a cup of hot chocolate, and then brought me four pieces of toast, three jars of jam, a jar of Nutella, a plate of cheese, a glass of clementine juice and a mug of cocoa. Between mouthfuls I mumbled that the only thing she hadn't brought out was some bacon, which prompted Pegs to ponder out loud (with no other segue, mind you): "If Ariel were a dog, she'd be so happy." After I finished coughing up the toast I had been swallowing, I asked her what in the heck that was supposed to mean. "Well, you know, they put bacon in everything for dogs." This made some sense, I guess, but it was followed by, "I was going to say that I never realized how much dogs liked chicken, but then I remembered: bacon doesn't come from chicken."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's scary that i know exactly what she meant each time. an alexandropoulos gift perhaps...