
You almost certainly know by now, but I think it needs to be said, that Panagiota passed away last month after a long and difficult fight with breast cancer. There aren't words to express what she had to go through over the past few years, or what effect it had on those around her. We are all suffering her loss, but we're trying to get by day by day as best we can in her absence. Panagiota didn't like to publicize her illness too much, so after a while we stopped posting anything here, since everything we experienced in some way or form related to her condition. Even the good times and random funny moments which we otherwise would have chronicled here seemed to diminish in importance or relevance in the face of Pegs' illness. The other week, however, I decided that despite our prolonged absence it was time to start posting on the blog again. I think it's important to keep it going, not just because Pegs loved it and enjoyed sharing our lives with you all, but because in re-reading some old posts, I was reminded how invaluable it was in memorializing the little details that make life fun, interesting and worthwhile. I am so glad that I can go back to the Mouth of Pegs posts and remind myself how funny Pegs was, both intentionally and accidentally, or watch some of the hundreds of videos she took of Sofia while we lived in Paris. But since this blog will only track the Alexanderpools going forward, I figured that we should also have a blog dedicated to the past. Paul "Don't-Call-Me-Homer" Simpson, my immensely talented and devilishly good-looking brother-in-law, is helping me put together a website where everyone who knew her will be able to share their memories, thoughts, pictures and videos of Panagiota. Not only should it be cathartic and a positive way to remember Panagiota, but I also hope that it serves as an ever-growing resource for Sofia to discover things about her mother that she might not have otherwise known. Paul and I are still in the process of setting things up (by which I mean that Paul is expertly figuring out how to actually put my random thoughts into a coherent structure on the web), but when it's operational we'll let you know and post a link to it among our favorite websites to the right. In the meantime, thanks for checking back in with us, and we hope you enjoy the many posts to come.
4 comments:
Great idea. We are looking forward to check the blog regularly
Mamie and Pop
thank you Lee for making us remember all the good and happy times you shared... we can continue to share in your memories and be a part of your lives, eventhough it is from afar... we love you and miss you...
Anna
It's a beautiful photo of Pegs. We look forward to reading about the present, and contributing to remembering the past with Pegs. Hugs and Kisses - JMNMJ
We love your blog and look forward to reading new posts, but also sharing pictures and memories about Pegs. She's so beautiful on this photo. We think a lot about you. Love, Sido and Anaƫl
Post a Comment